external enveloppe

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Yes!Yes!

external enveloppe

Post by Yes!Yes! » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:52 pm

hi, i want to have an external enveloppe for the mothers filter, without the lfo interfering: how would i put that together:

i have an aira scooper module where i made an adsr-enveloppe patch: i know how to connect ins and outs, but im curious what would be the best path for a precise enveloppe for the filter, so i can kep the onboard one for the amp

tnx in advance

TanSAT

Re: external enveloppe

Post by TanSAT » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:01 pm

I haven't tested this yet, but I think it might work...
This does work for me for controlling the VCA with an external ADSR.
Try floating the the VCF mod source switch in the middle, so that it isn't really connecting to the LFO or the Env. Then the filter should just respond to the Env coming in through the patch bay. I hope that helps! :D

Groundloop66

Post by Groundloop66 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:18 pm

@TanSAT, that's a very neat trick. It looks like a useful modification would be replacing the VCO and VCF Mod Source switches with triple position switches to lock in the 'Off' position.

stesom

Post by stesom » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:57 pm

Indeed this does work as I am running both VCA and VCF envelopes from my RME. It would be great to replace with a 3 way switch, but the switches do hold a middle off position with a little fiddling......Steve

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:53 am

I have not tried applying an external adsr yet, but will attempt this weekend. Have run oscillator waveform out to my polivoks filter and back in external audio then mixed. Sounded pretty great. Should be easy though woth the vca cv in. I guess you could probably do that easy enough with vcf cutoff in? I'll check it out.

Interesting effect when patching vcf out to vcf cutoff in too.

I have a bunch of experiments to try with it using various other modules, then patched back in.

There are a lot of cool filter boxes you can get and run external as standalones.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

hecksome

Post by hecksome » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm having trouble figuring out how to bypass the mother 32's envelope so I can use an external one. I successfully patched in a makenoise contour, but I'm still getting a popping sound from the mother 32's envelope at the start of the note.

I'm setting the mother 32's attack all the way left, the sustain off, and the decay off.

I'm using the GATE out of the mother to the GATE in of the contour, and the out of the contour into the VCA CV of the mother. The VCA mode is set to off (if it's set to on then it's sustaining a note). I'm using the midi in of the mother, so I need that to stay active to control the pitch via usb midi controller.

Is there some other patching I need to do?

hecksome

Post by hecksome » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:53 am

Ok, since I can see analog tumbleweeds rolling across this message board, I'll reply here for any future modular beginners. This was answered on another forum, and here's how you do it...

To access a second VCA in the M32:
VCF out to MIX 2 in
gate out of m32 to gate in of external ADSR
out of external ADSR to VC Mix control
turn VC mix all the way to the left (pointing to "lo/mix 1")

Voila!