Buffered Mult fixes KB Out calibration

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
dumbledog

Buffered Mult fixes KB Out calibration

Post by dumbledog » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:04 pm

Looks like there's a few of us who've been having trouble getting an external oscillator to track the Mother's KB Out jack. I've heard it's likely due to an impedance mismatch but I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't really comment there.

I spent some time investigating and it looks like the solution for me at least was to use a buffered mult -- I use Pulp Logic's 1U Eurorack tile. Using this I went from being 40 cents flat over an octave on my Dixie II+ to being within 4 cents over 4 octave, which I'll gladly take.

Note that I also tried it with the Mother's own buffered mult and the results weren't nearly as accurate. Gotta use an external one.

Soooo, if you have one handly that looks to be a solution.

Groundloop66

Re: Buffered Mult fixes KB Out calibration

Post by Groundloop66 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:51 pm

That's good to know. As I'm about to go down the Eurorack rabbit hole (I think I'm going to start with maybe a Doepfer SEM, ADSR and sine wave LFO), I'll add a buffered mult to the shopping list.

I can't remember where I read it, but somebody said the Mult on the Mother is passive. According to the manual it's buffered, but maybe not buffered enough? Not an electrical engineer either.