please realtime recording

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Yes!Yes!

please realtime recording

Post by Yes!Yes! » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:47 am

i am actually a little bit dissapointed of this pretty nifty new moog: NO realtime sequencing recording/ Please add that in a firmware upgrade
otherwise we need to add another sequencer to it. :wink:

rosscapricorn

Re: please realtime recording

Post by rosscapricorn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:52 pm

BUMP - please Moog!!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon May 22, 2017 10:03 am

Yes!Yes! wrote:i am actually a little bit dissapointed of this pretty nifty new moog: NO realtime sequencing recording/ Please add that in a firmware upgrade
Hi Yes!Yes!, and rosscapricorn,

I understand that, at first glance, a small step sequencer can seem like it's similar enough to a real-time sequencer, such that a firmware upgrade could turn the former into the latter. But they are two different things.

The sequencer in the MOTHER-32 is a step sequencer. Every step of the available 32 steps all have the same time value, whether each step is playing a single note, DUO notes, a silent rest, a tie, or multiple iterations via Ratcheting.

I'm guessing here but, I think you're hoping that a real-time sequence recording feature on the M-32 would recognize and record the various note lengths that you played and then play them back in that rhythm.

This would be cumbersome to do on a step sequencer that has a fairly small number of steps. I'll go into greater detail if you want, but here's an example:

Let's say you want to record a funky phrase that uses 1/4 notes, 1/8th notes, and 16th notes.

Since the smallest unit you want is a 1/16th note, every note you recorded in real-time would be be measured in terms of 1/16th note units. A 1/4 note would be recorded as four 1/16th notes tied together, a dotted 1/8th note would be three 1/16th notes tied together, and an 1/8th note would be recorded as two 1/16th notes tied together.

The same would follow for any moments you weren't playing notes. A 1/4 note rest is four steps of silence, an 1/8th note rest is two steps of silence, etc.

And now, here's the point... If there are only 32 steps available in a sequence, that would mean you could only record in real-time for two measures (32 steps of 1/16th notes = 2 measures) before running out of steps.

What you really want is a real-time sequencer that can have hundreds of measures, and has a resolution of 480 or 960 subdivisions per 1/4 note (as opposed to four per 1/4 note as described above), and has editing tools (cut, copy, paste, shift, transpose, etc.)

The step sequencer on the MOTHER-32 is there to allow you to use the unit all by itself (and is an homage to the original step sequencers used throughout the history of modular synthesis). A serious real-time recorder would require much more complicated editing tools that would inevitably call for using a computer editor. It would also seriously increase the price and require many more parameters to be merged onto existing buttons and knobs. At that point, why not just use an already invented computer sequencer (or dedicated hardware sequencer)?

If you have two or more MOTHER-32s, the complexity would increase as each unit would have an independent single-track sequencer when, what you'd really want at that point, would be a single multi-track sequencer, allowing you to see and edit all your tracks together in one place. Hope this helps.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

rosscapricorn

Post by rosscapricorn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 pm

"_DemonDan_"]

Thanks for the detailed answer, but actually I don't want what you are explaining that at all. I just want to record the notes I play and it quantizes them to the nearest available step in the sequencer while it's running. That's' it. You could do that with the Prophet 600, the Memorymoog, the MSQ, all the MPCs, and even the Akai Rhythm Wolf, and even CV based seqs like the Nexus Instruments CV Looper and the Shakmat Modular Bishop''s Miscellany, but above all else.... Moog's own SUB 37!

So it really doesn't seem unreasonable that this should be on our beloved Mother-32. For people who like to play keyboards and have the sequence in their head already, this is such an obvious feature. As it is though, you need a midi or external step sequencer to actually put in what you want, otherwise you are programming in static notes, punching in steps and rests over and over again, and deleting and re-doing it, until 20mins later you finally get the idea in that you could have recorded in 5 seconds.