Connecting Mother-32 to KARP and ...

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
HookedOnSonics

Connecting Mother-32 to KARP and ...

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Looking for guidance / best approach to integrating a Korg ARP with a Mother-32.

1. Both have MIDI IN ... Smile, so that was a bit confusing
2. Both have Gates and CV IN/OUT, so that is a bit interesting
3. Both have audio ext in, back to the bit confusing stuff again
4. finally, KARP has a pedal option

Wanted to humbly request for suggestions before I try and fry everything ... :-0

I guess we are trying to understand the best signal path to take and what is the best way to integrate the Moogfoogers with my moms.

Thanks in advanced for any and all FEEDBACK!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

slabwax

Re: Connecting Mother-32 to KARP and ...

Post by slabwax » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:56 pm

lots of ways to integrate the two.

If you want to use a standard keyboard with M32 two ways. Use the cv and gate out of Karp into cv and gate in on M32. Or you could use a usb host, Karp /host/ M32 midi din input. I've done this with both my Karp and Microbrute to my Minitaur. Works like a champ. You could also use the keyboard and gate out on M32 to cv and gate in on Karp to use the M32s sequencer on the Oddy.

The Foogers, line out from either synth to input on fx. That one is very straight forward

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Wow, thank you BIG TIME for your response, we have been studying signal paths cv/gate and trying get an understanding of how they work and why the good folks at Moog and Korg(ARP) only put MIDI inputs on these cool products. We've seen statements, well your mom is just a sequencer, but we don't look at the moms like that, holy cow there is also a powerful "MODERN" sound creator/generator under that hood.

>>Or you could use a usb host, Karp /host/ M32 midi din input.

Soooooooo are you saying we could do the following theoretically?

Take a USB out of the Kronos II and connected to the USB connector on the Karp and then from the Kronos II connect the MIDI out to the MIDI input on the mom? I think a get the cv/gate path, but what does the host stuff help us achieve, that's were we got deer in the headlights ... man we are such a NEWBIE
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:35 pm

I've never tried the reverse (usb in) so I don't know. This is what I use.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb12/a ... b-host.htm

The host takes a usb out and converts it to standard 5 pin din. You can't go usb to usb ( instrument to instrument) as far as I know. I could be wrong I'm not all that clever.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:39 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:Take a USB out of the Kronos II and connected to the USB connector on the Karp and then from the Kronos II connect the MIDI out to the MIDI input on the mom? I think a get the cv/gate path, but what does the host stuff help us achieve, that's were we got deer in the headlights ... man we are such a NEWBIE

You could go midi out of Kronos and get a midi splitter box one din in/ multiple dins out. Keep in mind that the Karp will only respond to pitch and gate via midi.I'm not sure about Mom.