Mother-32 arrived today - is it faulty or is it me?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
EddyDeegan

Mother-32 arrived today - is it faulty or is it me?

Post by EddyDeegan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:55 pm

Mine arrived today, and I've spent a happy couple of hours twiddling with it. For a little beasty it sure can make a big noise. However, I am confused/concerned by one thing. I wanted to combine the pulse and saw waveforms together as per the tip in the manual, where it states:

You can listen to both waveforms at the same time by patching the VCO PULSE output into
the EXT. AUDIO input. The MIX control now blends between the Saw and Pulse waves. SAW must
be selected as the VCO WAVE on the panel for this to work.

However, on mine, this doesn't work. If I patch the VCO Pulse output to the Ext. Audio input and set the VCO/Noise Ext. mixer knob to 100% (so I should just be able to hear the Pulse output) then I get silence. The mix knob works, because without anything patched, I do hear pure noise (as expected). In fact, I can't seem to get anything out of either the Pulse or Saw outputs on the patch panel.

I also tried patching the Pulse and Saw outputs to inputs 1 and 2 of the VC Mixer, and patched the output of the mixer to the Ext. Audio input, but now I just get a low frequency (about a Hz or so) click.

Am I missing something, or do I have a faulty unit? Any advice/suggestions welcome - I'm kinda new to physical semi-modular stuff (though I've been using the Arturia collection for a while so I get the gist) so I imagine it may be an error or misunderstanding on my part.

mmarsh100

Re: Mother-32 arrived today - is it faulty or is it me?

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:53 pm

Try this:
  • Set VCO WAVE to SQUARE
  • Patch VCO SAW on the patch panel to EXT.AUDIO
  • Move MIX full clockwise to hear only SAW
  • Move MIX full counter-clockwise to hear only SQR
  • Move MIX to 12 o'clock to hear only SAW + SQR

If you still hear silence on full counter-clockwise, there must be something going on with the EXT.AUDIO input. You could try plugging in another audio source to EXT>AUDIO and see if that works.

EddyDeegan

Post by EddyDeegan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks mmarsh - I just got it to work, and I hesitate to admit being so stupid but here it is... I was patching into the wrong holes as I got the 'above/below' labelling mixed up and was trying to hear the LFO.

Appreciate you taking the time to answer, thanks again and Happy New Year :-)

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:43 pm

:D can't tell you how many times I've done that!! I was trying to post a graphic showing the patch but I failed (couldn't really do it at work). Glad you figured it out and have a great new year too.