Mother 32 with other modules

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
circular_rhythms

Mother 32 with other modules

Post by circular_rhythms » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:07 am

So I received my M32 yesterday, had a mess round with it for a couple of hours last night, very impressed with it, sounds great as a stand alone, I love it already. I have chosen the M32 (as it seems many others have) as a starter point for a modular system, and I bought a Make Noise Erbe Verbe as my first module as I thought this would be a good module to compliment the M32 to begin with.

So my complete novice question is, how do I patch the M32 to the Erbe Verb? I thought it would be:

M32 VCA OUT to EV AUDIO IN then EV AUDIO OUT to M32 EXT AUDIO IN - correct?

Am I correct in thinking that the audio from the Erbe Verb will then go through the M32 AUDIO OUT on the back panel into my soundcard? Or do I need a separate amp for my modular system such as the Intelijel uJack?

I know this is basic stuff but any pointers would be appreciated!

bathyscaaf

Re: Mother 32 with other modules

Post by bathyscaaf » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:58 am

I'm not sure if this is correct (don't have a Mother32), but I think you may be sending the control voltage signal (the VCA's envelope) to the Erb Verb rather than the audio signal. I think you may need a quarter-inch to 1/8in cable from the audio out on the back of the mother32 to the in on the erb-verb. Could be wrong, but I don't see an audio out in the patching area (looking at Moog's manual).

If I'm right, then you'd also need something like the Rosie (MakeNOISE) to get the audio back out, though I guess you could use another adapter cable (though you would loose some volume control that way). Though I don't see amplitude control on the Rosie except for sends and returns. So maybe just the adapter cable.

Like I said, I could be totally wrong here, I've been up all night and am a bit fuzzy. I'd like to know for sure as well since I was actually looking at getting the same setup!

bathyscaaf

Post by bathyscaaf » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:25 pm

So I was up all night so I wouldn't miss a morning flight -- and my previous post was all wrong, I confused the VCA with VCA CV.
I think your connection scheme wouldn't get you what you are going for -- if External-In behaves as it does on other Moog synths, your m32 filter will be affecting the sound coming in to the m32 External-In from the ErbVerb, and then that signal would go back through the m32 VCA, and then back into the ErbVerb etc etc big loop. I think you want FX to be at the end of your chain rather than feeding back into the m32.

So yeah, you'll probably need "a separate amp for my modular system such as the Intelijel uJack". Sorry for the bad info.

circular_rhythms

Post by circular_rhythms » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:29 am

bathyscaaf wrote:So I was up all night so I wouldn't miss a morning flight -- and my previous post was all wrong, I confused the VCA with VCA CV.
I think your connection scheme wouldn't get you what you are going for -- if External-In behaves as it does on other Moog synths, your m32 filter will be affecting the sound coming in to the m32 External-In from the ErbVerb, and then that signal would go back through the m32 VCA, and then back into the ErbVerb etc etc big loop. I think you want FX to be at the end of your chain rather than feeding back into the m32.

So yeah, you'll probably need "a separate amp for my modular system such as the Intelijel uJack". Sorry for the bad info.
Don't apologise - I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Yes!Yes!

Post by Yes!Yes! » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:29 pm

trackin my minitaur (no pitch at all just gate WTF) + nanozwerg with mt32: nanozwerg isonly one octave (the one u set & tune on the nano) if i use the midi in of the mt32. with the sequencer no change with the minitaur (perfect companion not yet unfort., was dying to combi the two) and just in tune with the nano from mt32 sequencer

so the midi to cv pitch is also maybye not completely ok yet?!

** with the roland aira scooper module i made a patch with two vcos filter and envelope: Pitch trackin is sublime!!

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:54 am

I have the Mother-32 and am using it with other Eurorack modules, including Make Noise. I can tell you with confidence that you are half-right with your signal path. The part you have correct is, VCA out (top right) to Audio-In on the ErbVerb, but now is the part where you probably want another module, something like Pittsburgh Modular OUTs, this is a small, affordable module that takes your 1/8" eurorack signals and converts them to a standard 1/4" line-out. So then, you would go Audio-Out of the ErbVerb, IN to the OUTs module, then you just use a standard instrument cable out of OUTs ( :lol: ) and IN to your mixer/interface/amp. From what I understand, you can use a 1/8'-to-1/4" cable instead, BUT the signal will not be adequate.

Anyway, if you're going to be getting into the Eurorack world, you're definitely going to want some sort of OUTs-type module. (Trust me, don't overlook utility modules...you're gonna need them :wink: )

Here's a link for the PM OUTs: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=pi ... dular+outs

Happy Patching