M32 + Freqbox = Pitch?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
benulous

M32 + Freqbox = Pitch?

Post by benulous » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:58 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm playing with my shiny new M32s and I thought it'd be fun to use my FREQBOX as a second oscillator like I do sometimes with my XL. I just got to plugging things up as follows:

M32 KB OUT --> MF107 FREQ IN
MF107 OSC OUT --> M32 EXT IN

So, that didn't work out so much. While it does trigger the 107, the pitch doesn't track!? Hrrmm...It's easy enough to just go through chaining the AUDIO I/Os, but, for some reason, I kinda thought this would work.

Am I missing something? Am I just realizing the M32s don't send pitch info - or am I just making a dumb mistake?
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

Bryan B

Re: M32 + Freqbox = Pitch?

Post by Bryan B » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:40 am

You might need to use an attenuator to adjust the CV (from the Mother 32) a little as the Freqbox wasn't set up as a perfect v/Oct at the factory. You can supposedly callibrate and tune the Freqbox if you know which trimmer(s) to use.

Another easier option would be to run the audio out of the Mother 32 and into the audio input of the Freqbox. This way you can use the Sync feature to force the Freqbox audio into alignment. You will probably want the FM amount and envelope amount down when you try that.

I often use the Ringmod as a soft Oscillator and the Freqbox as a rough-sounding Oscillator. You can also use the Lowpass filter as well as the Clusterflux to create even more Oscillators. As you have discovered, it can be difficult to have them track properly though. I like how organic and thick they can sound, but others may want a precise unison kind of sound.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

benulous

Post by benulous » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks Bryan, thanks for taking the time to write that! All of it is very good info - and I typically use them (ring/freq) in the same manner. I've currently got it set up running audio cables in series to track - which is passable...But, the Mother just sends a GATE signal over CV from what I can tell. It will only trigger the frequency I have the freqbox adjusted to. So, there is no tracking of the actual pitch to the freq at all as I play the mother's scales. I'm missing something, probably simple.

I ended up just moving on to experimenting with the sequencer and learning more about the M32. I'm at work now, but I plan to jump back in this evening. Is anyone else sending pitch from the mother to another device over CV? I have 2 M32s and I've got the sequencers sync'd up. But, I hadn't, yet, controlled one from the other for playing. Perhaps someone with 2 M32's can tell me how they're controlling and sending pitch to the slave because I haven't really dug into that part yet.
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 am

_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:13 pm

benulous wrote:Thanks Bryan, thanks for taking the time to write that! All of it is very good info - and I typically use them (ring/freq) in the same manner. I've currently got it set up running audio cables in series to track - which is passable...But, the Mother just sends a GATE signal over CV from what I can tell. It will only trigger the frequency I have the freqbox adjusted to. So, there is no tracking of the actual pitch to the freq at all as I play the mother's scales. I'm missing something, probably simple.

I ended up just moving on to experimenting with the sequencer and learning more about the M32. I'm at work now, but I plan to jump back in this evening. Is anyone else sending pitch from the mother to another device over CV? I have 2 M32s and I've got the sequencers sync'd up. But, I hadn't, yet, controlled one from the other for playing. Perhaps someone with 2 M32's can tell me how they're controlling and sending pitch to the slave because I haven't really dug into that part yet.
In the first part of my video here I have the GATE Out of the first Mother-32 to the GATE In of the second M32, and the KB Out of the first M32 to the VCO 1V/OCT In, in order for the pitch/keys to track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7VxECHLkQ

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:28 pm

KB Out on the Mother 32 should be CV for the Freqbox Freq In. If not, maybe you can use the Assignable cv out to do it?
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.