Complimentary Euro Rack Modules for M32(s)

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
benulous

Complimentary Euro Rack Modules for M32(s)

Post by benulous » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:08 am

Well, Moog got me again. I was driving through Asheville on Friday and dutifully called ahead and had them put aside one of 5 M32s they had available to sell from the store. The plan was to just get one and build from there. So, of course, I went in for one, left with 2. (Un)fortunetely, they were still building the 2 tier stands in the back so I didn't get one. Now, I'm starting to consider whether or not I should get the 3-tier stand and get the empty moog euro case to build out the 3rd tier with some choice euro modules.

I'm new to eurorack. I now have 2 M32s, an XL and a bunch of foogers (all of them). I'd really like to get some crazy sounds and have all this working together as one big rig. Can anyone make some suggestions on what to look for to pull it all together with and keep things in sync, using the space available in the moog 60hp case? I'd really like to be able to unplug from my DAW and use this all together. But, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

EMwhite

Re: Complimentary Euro Rack Modules for M32(s)

Post by EMwhite » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:42 am

I'm a MU guy primarily but I have one 19" width of Euro, primarily for modulation.

The Dave Jones O'tool doesn't do a thing except show waveforms, voltages, ranges, rudimentary frequency analysis (view) so is handy for all sorts of things. It's not cheap, nothing is in Euro (you may have thought Moog stuff was expensive).

Some feedback on what you are after would be helpful; I think for starters, another OSC or two would be useful and you can go somewhat inexpensive and get Doepfer or Pittsburgh, or go expensive and get a Mutable Instruments Briads, or some of the Make Noise DPO or piles of others.

The STG Mankato filter which is based on a Thomas Henry design was recently reviewed (and excellent review btw) on SonicState here: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/10/ ... to-review/

Once you get a bunch of sound sources, you'll want some traditional modulation and envelopes and there are many many options which are way different from the traditional design that you are used to from Voyager. Resist the urge to buy modules of the type you already know about and instead go for space efficient but most variability and new capabilities as you can get your hands on.

Best advice I can give is to get yourself on Muffs if you are not already there and read the Euro forum. But maybe find a way to cross post here because it's a lot to go through and many, like yourself, are just getting started and Mother32 is a bridge to Euro modular. Also, the Buy/Sell forum on Muffs (which requires 100 posts in order to gain access) is a great place to buy used modules.

I'm trying hard NOT to buy one but something is pulling me in (luckily a friend keeps talking me out of it because I have way too much gear, not much in the way of $$ and do not spend enough time actually making useful music ... but I kind of like this stuff).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Rbwduece

Post by Rbwduece » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 pm

I would look into a complete envelope generator, seeing as how the Mother 32 only appears to have adjustable attack and decay, but no sustain or release. Other than that, well, you can't go wrong with a Make Noise Maths or Mutable Instruments Clouds. However, those 2 modules are going to take a nice chunk out of your available 60 hp. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:46 am

I would pick up the Polivoks filter, designed by the original creator in conjunction with Harvestman. And a dreadbox epsilon.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:40 am

Would Makenoise 'teleharmonic' be a good first module to go along with the M32?

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:16 am

Rbwduece wrote:... the Mother 32 only appears to have adjustable attack and decay, but no sustain or release.
It has attack, sustain, and release, just no initial decay. There is a switch to turn sustain on or off. Mother's use of the word 'decay' is usually called release on other synths. Interestingly, it's the definition that Moog first brought to the market back in the late 60's (ADSR).

Stephen

seancostello

Post by seancostello » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:38 pm

A few modules I would recommend:

- An ADSR or two.
- One or two extra VCOs.
- A buffered mult, to drive the 1V/Oct inputs of the extra VCOs without pitch droop (the unbuffered mult of the Mother-32 creates a bit of pitch droop as you go up in octaves).
- A few mixers. One of these should be the STG .mix, which is based on the CP3 mixer from the Moog modular. This will add a lot of overdrive to the VCOs when mixed together, which is a big part of the older Moog sound. The other mixer is less critical, and will be used for summing the envelope with LFO, VCO, keyboard out, etc. for controlling the Mother-32 VCF.

I've been playing around with 2 Tiptop Z3000 VCOs, driven by an Intellijel buffered mult, running through the STG .mix. I'm using a dual Intellijel ADSR for the filter envelope, and a Pittsburgh Modular mixer for the filter control voltages. It sounds MASSIVE.

The one trick I had to do in order to get a super overdriven sound: the CP3 has to be used to mix ALL of the VCOs, including the Saw or Pulse output from the Mother-32. Mixing 2 VCOs into the CP3, and relying on the VCO/EXT knob on the Mother-32 to mix the internal VCO with the external VCO, doesn't create enough overdrive. Running 3 VCOs into the STG .mix gives you _that_ sound.

Sean Costello
Valhalla DSP, LLC
http://www.valhalladsp.com

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Im beginning to wonder about the place for the Mother in a full blown modular system. There have been many suggestioned add on modules to address the limitations so why not get dedicated modules in the first place. The OSC and EG seems a bit limiting but there some oter limitations as well.

And putting 2 or 3 together certainly increase the cost. Maybe indivuallal modules would be a better chice.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Bald Eagle wrote:Im beginning to wonder about the place for the Mother in a full blown modular system. There have been many suggestioned add on modules to address the limitations so why not get dedicated modules in the first place. The OSC and EG seems a bit limiting but there some oter limitations as well.

And putting 2 or 3 together certainly increase the cost. Maybe indivuallal modules would be a better chice.
Because they wouldn't be Moog.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

jgo

Post by jgo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 am

Bald Eagle wrote:Im beginning to wonder about the place for the Mother in a full blown modular system. There have been many suggestioned add on modules to address the limitations so why not get dedicated modules in the first place. The OSC and EG seems a bit limiting but there some oter limitations as well.

Maybe, but once you start piecing it together in your head... a nice ladder filter in euro might be $250, a 32 step seq around $280, simple midi in comparable to the mother 32's about $150... well, we've already exceeded the mother 32 price. Of course, if you don't want or need a cv sequencer it probably changes the value to you.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:00 am

jgo wrote:

Maybe, but once you start piecing it together in your head... a nice ladder filter in euro might be $250, a 32 step seq around $280, simple midi in comparable to the mother 32's about $150... well, we've already exceeded the mother 32 price. Of course, if you don't want or need a cv sequencer it probably changes the value to you.
The sequencer is certainly a BIG feature to consider and does add to the value a great deal.

On a different note ... I Assume there would be no problem installing the Mother in a Pittsburgh Modular Move [208] Eurorack Mobile Case? ... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Move208Case