A big suggestion I hope Moog will consider...

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Mattew96

A big suggestion I hope Moog will consider...

Post by Mattew96 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:54 pm

I understand some things.
The Mother 32 is a Eurorack oriented synth, and as such uses 1/8 inch jacks.
Eurorack is a popular and future oriented format
There is enough space on the Mother 32's face to accommodate 1/4 inch jacks
Modifying an existing one is possible but a warranty voiding chore
All of Moog's gear up to this point harkens back to the original Moog 5U modular format (except for the s-trig, for obvious reasons)

So here's where I'm coming from.
I am a Voyager + CP-251 and VX-251 owner.
I am a Slim Phatty owner.
I own three Moogerfoogers.

Using 1/4 to 1/8 cables or converters is expensive and annoying and very inconvenient.

Would it be so much to ask for Moog to do two versions of this synth, one Eurorack and one "legacy"? Because honestly in my case, the only thing holding me back from buying this as an awful nifty Voyager expander is the jacks. The price range is just high enough that it makes a seemingly small point significant to me. This would be so great in my rack, but only with the freedom afforded by 1/4 inch jacks!

jsharpphoto

Re: A big suggestion I hope Moog will consider...

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:56 pm

I kind of thought the same thing. I have a few non-Moog pieces in my system that use 1/8. I hate them. I just built a voltage multiplier unit where one jack in every group is 1/8, only to be able to convert it to 1/4. Maybe Moog could release a patchbay that converts it to 1/4? Ideally it would connect via a special ribbon cable like the 351 CV expanders did, rather than plugging into the front 1/8 jacks. AND if it was buffered, it would allow the 1/8ths on the front to still be used without dropping the voltage to the 1/4s. That way you could use the front panel jacks to interconnect multiple mothers, but use the expansion bay to connect to things like foogers or voyagers.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:43 pm

I've been mixing 3.5mm and 1/4" for years now (sem patch point -Moog stuff) and I've been using 3.5mm-1/4" premade cables. You can find them cheap online under $3.00 USD. They are not pretty but have held up.

http://www.markertek.com/product/sp-m-3 ... -cable-3ft

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:20 am

Mattew96 wrote:I understand some things...
Awwww...
You're just showing off because you come from a universe that has more than three dimensions!
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Mattew96

Post by Mattew96 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:03 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Mattew96 wrote:I understand some things...
Awwww...
You're just showing off because you come from a universe that has more than three dimensions!
Okay, I'll admit that one was a bit of a stretch. The 1/4 inchers would interfere with the silkscreen for sure, but I'm pretty sure that they could be crammed in. How to fix the silkscreen problem, I dunno.

The thing that concerns me most is whether the 1/4 inchers would be too deep to fit inside the box. Even so, I would tolerate "short jacks" although I realize moog would never go for that.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:29 am

And all of these solutions offered are "after thoughts" and Moog doesn't really do "after thoughts".
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Mattew96

Post by Mattew96 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:37 am

jsharpphoto wrote:And all of these solutions offered are "after thoughts" and Moog doesn't really do "after thoughts".
Considering there was the Little Phatty CV mod, multiple Voyager revisions (especially consider the backlight option added later), and the Voyager XL, that's not a statement I'd take as gospel. Also, it's early in the product cycle, so planting this idea now may give it hope for future versions or options. For all we know there's a Mother 64 or Father 32 on the way! lol

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Fair enough, but I'm willing to bet there was EXTENSIVE discussion about what size jacks to use on the Mother. The changes you mentioned were tweaks made along the way. It's not quite the same thing as shoe-horning 1/4 jacks into space made for 1/8. I would love for them to make a mother XL, but I'm not holding my breath.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:31 pm

If you are more concerned with convenience rather than looks you can always get a bunch of these and solder them permanently into the 1/8 jacks: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:01 pm

They seem to be working their way up. First, the Werkstatt with jumper wire, then the Mother-32 with 3.5mm jacks. Is it really so inconceivable that this might lead to a "Father-32" with 1/4" jacks, especially now that both the slim phatty and voyager rme are discontinued? When all of their other CV equipment is 1/4", it would seem natural that they would eventually bring this technology to that format, possibly as a new flagship, with more oscillators, envelopes, etc. Of course they would have to reduce the number of CV jacks compared to multiple Mothers, but could make them assignable as a compromise... I want to believe.

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:04 pm

I find myself hoping that if and when they release a Father-32 it will be voiced like the Minitaur and have all the controls it has now plus the items used in the editor. Perhaps that is just me but I love the Minitaurs voice. Sure won't stop me form getting a Mother-32 when possible.

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:18 am

Maybe a novice question but can normal 1/8 to 1/4 jack converters work for 1/8 CV patch cables?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:33 am

Synth.com owners can simply add a Q122 Mini Jack interface to make an M-32 (or any 1/8 gear) easily slot into their system. Uses up one panel space, but worth it to avoid using adapters or having to buy special cables. I use one to incorporate a Doepfer Dark Energy module into the mix:
q122_s.jpg
q122_s.jpg (12.7 KiB) Viewed 20068 times

Mattew96

Post by Mattew96 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:33 pm

Dapifer wrote:Maybe a novice question but can normal 1/8 to 1/4 jack converters work for 1/8 CV patch cables?
I'm assuming you are calling a stereo adapter normal (aka headphone/TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve)), in which case yes, it works. The ring portion will also pick up ground or be floating, and the tip will carry the signal as usual. Generally, any 1/4 inch cable will work in a mono (TS) socket, but only a TRS cable will work in a TRS jack. That's not always true, but 90% of the time it'll get you by. TRRS and greater is more nuanced.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:27 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:Maybe Moog could release a patchbay that converts it to 1/4? Ideally it would connect via a special ribbon cable like the 351 CV expanders did, rather than plugging into the front 1/8 jacks. AND if it was buffered, it would allow the 1/8ths on the front to still be used without dropping the voltage to the 1/4s. That way you could use the front panel jacks to interconnect multiple mothers, but use the expansion bay to connect to things like foogers or voyagers.
Amazingly good idea!!!

Stephen