Any Mother-32 Questions?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
_DemonDan_

Re: Any Mother-32 Questions?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:08 pm

slabwax wrote:Does it sound more Minitaur or Werkstatt?
I don't have my Minitaur or Werkstatt in the same building as my M-32, but it has to be much closer to the Werkstatt as its basic sections are similar.
slabwax wrote:How does the size set with Minitaur?
I'm guessing that they're both roughly the same with the M-32 being about 25% wider.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:17 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:What happens when you take, say, the VCO PULSE Out to the VCO Freq In? Will it modulate itself?
Hi Mike,

VCO PULSE out to VCO 1V/OCT in seems to make the OSC go about 2Hz (around two audible clicks per second).

As you change the PULSE WIDTH knob from fully CCW to fully CW, the freq goes up to an audible freq just a bit above the original note chosen by the keyboard.

Silence seems to be the only result of sending either VCO PULSE out or VCO SAW out into the VCO LIN FM in.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:21 pm

slabwax wrote:[Will it play the "Lucky Man " solo?
While its PULSE WAVE (set to 50%) is VERY fat, and the GLIDE and RESONANCE are up to the task, it doesn't have the sound of multiple, detuned OSCs.

Gentle use of PWM gets you part of the way. One or two more M-32s would probably get you a very satisfactory result.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Bertotti wrote:If I hooked a Mother-32 and my Minitaur up to my MacBook Pro, will Logic see them as separate devices?
Since the M-32 doesn't have USB, Logic would see whatever MIDI/USB interface you have connected (via 5-pin DIN MIDI) to the M-32.
Bertotti wrote:I was looking at a moogerfooger but this is really much more tempting to add to my Minitaur.
I totally get that. The Minitaur and M-32, connected in various ways via CVs would be a long-lasting source of enjoyment.

(But then again, so would any of the moogerfoogers and a Mother-32!)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:31 pm

DaveBee wrote:Another question ... can the LFO be synced to the VCO to be used as a second VCO?
I know the site says a max of 600Hz but wondering if this a practical thing.
Without patching, the LFO only goes to 350Hz.

You can get up to 600Hz by adding voltage to the LFO RATE input.

So, realistically, it wouldn't terribly useful as a second VCO.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:34 pm

0netwo0netwo wrote:When do we get to see the video of Mr. Fisher tweakin all the knobs?
woo hoo Excited
Although Mr. Fisher has already recorded a Mother-32 video demo, he has been requested not to release it until Oct. 8th (Thurs.)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Moogtard wrote:Are the OSC, Filter, Envelopes, basically the same as the ones that are in the Sub Phatty series/Werkstatt/Minitaur?
The features are most reminiscent of the Werkstatt. Here are some pics:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/semi- ... /mother-32
Moogtard wrote:Does the Mother-32 have discrete audio/CV pathways? Would sending higher than 5v into the Gate CV in cause any harm?
The manual gives specific allowable overages for various ins:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/semi- ... nloads-tab
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi Dan,

I hope your gig went well this past weekend. Also thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions.

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:10 am

_Demon Dan_ thanks for the reply!

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi Mike,

VCO PULSE out to VCO 1V/OCT in seems to make the OSC go about 2Hz (around two audible clicks per second).

As you change the PULSE WIDTH knob from fully CCW to fully CW, the freq goes up to an audible freq just a bit above the original note chosen by the keyboard.

Silence seems to be the only result of sending either VCO PULSE out or VCO SAW out into the VCO LIN FM in.
Thanks, Dan. That's mildly disappointing but this is the same-ish behavior on my Pittsburgh Synth Block. Ah well, no bug noises for me...guess I'll just *have* to patch that up on my 5U :)

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Here's to hoping someone will post up a video of one mother 32 and the various sounds it is capable of alone. I like the sounds in the current Moog video but a stand alone video would be nice.

I am tempted but I really like the way usb/midi is implemented in the Minitaur. I am more tempted to add another one of those or the sub 37. I wonder if usb might be added to a mother in the future.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:53 am

Bertotti wrote:Here's to hoping someone will post up a video of one mother 32 and the various sounds it is capable of alone. I like the sounds in the current Moog video but a stand alone video would be nice.

I am tempted but I really like the way usb/midi is implemented in the Minitaur. I am more tempted to add another one of those or the sub 37. I wonder if usb might be added to a mother in the future.
I'm sure demondan's demo on the 8th will have what you are looking for (he does very good and thorough demos.) I will be doing a series of demos as well, though mine tend to be more in a musical context (with fx, etc.) but I have three Mother-32s on the way to me in the next 2 days; I should have my first demo up by next Monday here - https://www.youtube.com/user/GenshiMediaGroup/

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:57 am

Great!! I am looking forward to all the videos posted up thanks!

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks for the generous offer to answer our questions, Dan

Q: Does the pulse width knob have any effect on the saw wave? Manual is mute on this. I'm curious as to whether it's possible to get more of a triangle/sine wave out of the Mother oscillator pre-filtering. Thanks!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:38 pm

midilifestyle wrote:Q: Does the PULSE WIDTH knob have any effect on the Saw wave? I'm curious as to whether it's possible to get more of a Triangle/Sine wave out of the Mother oscillator, pre-filtering.
I was hoping the same thing but...nope. The PULSE WIDTH knob has no effect on the Saw wave.

But... you can send the VCO SAW & VCO PULSE Outs to the MIX 1 & MIX 2 Ins and then send the VC MIX Out to the EXT. AUDIO In.

Now you can blend the Saw and Pulse waves via the VC MIX knob (or by sending some VC to the VC MIX CTRL In).