Any Mother-32 Questions?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
mmarsh100

Re: Any Mother-32 Questions?

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:51 am

From the manual:

MIDI SYSTEM REAL TIME MESSAGES

MIDI CLOCK MESSAGES: When the Mother-32 detects a MIDI Clock signal, the Tempo LED blinks
green at the detected tempo and the panel TEMPO control becomes a clock divider. After MIDI clock
messages cease to be received, the internal clock can be restarted by pressing the RUN/STOP button.

MIDI START: A MIDI Start message runs the pattern from Step 1.

MIDI STOP: A MIDI Stop message stops the pattern on the last active step.

MIDI CONTINUE: A MIDI Continue message will start the pattern on the next active step.

I think the relevant part is "When the Mother-32 detects a MIDI Clock signal" - are you sure you are sending MIDI clock to that channel? I can't remember exactly, but I think Live in it's Preferences panel has a tab for MIDI and in that tab there is a Synchronization (can't remember the wording) check box. Make sure that's checked for the output going to Mom.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:44 pm

bac0n wrote:Is the Mother-32 able to accept tempo from a DAW like Ableton? I have tried a bunch of settings in set up mode and haven't been able to get the tempo LED to blink green. I have the MIDI going straight into the M32 from my audio interface.
That's exactly what I'm doing in my video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzoo_MKiB8o

MIDI sync from Ableton Live to the Mother-32 (then the second Mother-32 sync'd to the first via CV.) Just make sure to check your connections/cables/settings from your computer. It should work.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:11 pm

My "go to" response for these issues is always:

Have you confirmed that the desired MIDI Data is actually being sent to the device (using MIDI Monitor for Mac, or MidiOx for PC)?
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Yes, don't forget to go to ableton's midi settings and turn on clock out.

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:18 pm

I don't know if this is related, but from what I've been able to figure out, you have to have the sequencer running to get the KB out to send the clock. I wanted to use an arpeggiator in Cubase to drive the M32 but send the clock out to another modular setup. What I've done so far is make a 1 step sequence, set to a rest and set the gate wide open.

bac0n

Post by bac0n » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Thank you all, it was all about my settings sending clock to the device, works great now, Thanks!

mandroide

Post by mandroide » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:05 pm

So the Sequencer can control other synths?
Can the included midi2cv be used to control other synths, say from ableton to M32 to other synths?
Thanks!

stuart_melvey

Post by stuart_melvey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Does the mother have a preset store? I feel this is crucial for playing live with it... looked through the manual and cant find anything
thanks!

stuart_melvey

Post by stuart_melvey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:59 pm

to clarify I understand you can save patterns in the sequencer, but I don't think the knobs are MIDI implemented

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:56 am

Yes, the knobs are not MIDI implemented like they are on the Voyager.

Stephen

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:11 am

stuart_melvey wrote:Does the mother have a preset store? I feel this is crucial for playing live with it...
Attachments
PresetsForWeak.jpg

stuart_melvey

Post by stuart_melvey » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:50 pm

hahaha

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:42 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
stuart_melvey wrote:Does the mother have a preset store? I feel this is crucial for playing live with it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3cG2VvP0I

I know your kidding but with my Sub 37 I have noticed that I am not using many of the presets that I have designed. I basically just stick to one of them and then modify it from there. It doesn't take long and feels more alive that way.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:59 am

franklinstower wrote:... with my Sub 37 I have noticed that I am not using many of the presets that I have designed. I basically just stick to one of them and then modify it from there. It doesn't take long and feels more alive that way.
I totally agree!
I save so many presets, but every time I go to play with it, I always start from an INIT PRESET.

If you haven't already, make the one-time investment of memorizing how to quickly put all the knobs to their actual INIT PRESET values. They're mostly pretty obvious, but be vigilant enough to learn them all, exactly.

It's a fantastic place to start every sonic journey; every knob is actual, and there are no unseen connections that'll trip you up later in the programming.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:31 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
franklinstower wrote:... with my Sub 37 I have noticed that I am not using many of the presets that I have designed. I basically just stick to one of them and then modify it from there. It doesn't take long and feels more alive that way.
I totally agree!
I save so many presets, but every time I go to play with it, I always start from an INIT PRESET.

If you haven't already, make the one-time investment of memorizing how to quickly put all the knobs to their actual INIT PRESET values. They're mostly pretty obvious, but be vigilant enough to learn them all, exactly.

It's a fantastic place to start every sonic journey; every knob is actual, and there are no unseen connections that'll trip you up later in the programming.

Ill do that for sure. I only became a musician three years ago after having a intense dream of playing bass on on a piano that had levers for each key to make it sound different. After a lot of searching and trial and error I ended up with a Sub 37. I had never even seen a synthesizer before that. No kidding-- I am blown away by how great this thing sounds and it feels more and more "right" over time.

Mother 32 is probably gonna be my next synth.