midilifestyle

Re: Any Mother-32 Questions?

Post by midilifestyle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks!

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Hey Dan,
Great video and thanks for taking questions.

I'm most interested in using this to augment my Sub 37 but I have a question about Pitch Bend. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to send the appropriate rpn from the sub so that when using the mother 32 as a third osc I can get it to match the bend amount in the sub? I usually solo with +/- 2 semitones on pb (boring I know) and I'm dreaming of 3 osc and no additional equipment.

Thanks!

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Great review Demon Dan thanks!
Sadly I need to hear more and more, I am still tossed up, I love so much about the Minitaur I am actually tempted to just get a second one of them! But all the cv routing of the mother another voice etc etc would certainly add to the Minitaur in a much wider range. To many Moogs to little money!

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Anyone have a sample of someone playing the M32 with a keyboard? I'm just not into the knob-turning/sequencer as music paradigm. My experience is that a lot (if not all) of eurorack is like that; sort of a modern shoegazer sound. However, I need a melody to turn me on, and I haven't heard anything like that yet.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

bigcatrik

Post by bigcatrik » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:19 am

How smooth can we expect the MIDI CC to CV to be? I would want to use a breath controller to control the filter cutoff. The M-32 manual doesn't say anything about CC smoothing (my Little Phatty aliases/crackles with MIDI).
Rik
------------
www.BaroqueNow.com
www.RaveBots.com

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:34 am

MRNUTTY wrote:Anyone have a sample of someone playing the M32 with a keyboard? I'm just not into the knob-turning/sequencer as music paradigm. My experience is that a lot (if not all) of eurorack is like that; sort of a modern shoegazer sound. However, I need a melody to turn me on, and I haven't heard anything like that yet.
My second video has a bit of a melody, even though it was done on the Mother-32 sequencers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzoo_MKiB8o

But I am waiting for my 3-Tier Rack (Tuesday?) to arrive so I can have all three of my Mother-32s setup, then I will do a full blown demo with one of the three M32s being played with a MIDI keyboard. I'll try to do my best berlin-school/Klaus Schulze meets Keith Emerson impression when I do have it all setup (with a little John Carpenter feel thrown in for good measure!) :wink:

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:42 am

Thank you jido-genshi! I got a little 'crystal method' vibe out of that. nice! :-)
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:48 pm

MRNUTTY wrote:Thank you jido-genshi! I got a little 'crystal method' vibe out of that. nice! :-)
Thanks you! And I did one more video (until I can get my 3-tier rack and add the third Mother-32 to the mix). This was is in two parts, has more keyboard playing. The first part is raw, no effects. Second part was my feeble attempt at a berlin-school thing.

And a question for _DemonDan_ if he is still reading this thread... is there a better (best) way of syncing the tempo of two Mother-32s together? Please see my additional notes below from the video description:

EDIT: Solved. I needed to set the TEMPO in of the slave unit to "Step-Advance" mode.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, this is a two part test... PART ONE: Raw sound, no effects, testing to see how well the second (top) Mother-32 tracks via CV when the first (bottom) Mother-32 is being played via MIDI keyboard (in this case, the KMI QuNexus with MIDI Expander.) PART TWO: "Almost Berlin-School" test with delay and reverb effects, first (bottom) Mother-32 sync'd via MIDI from Ableton Live and second (top) Mother-32 being played via MIDI from a Moog Sub 37, then sequencer sync'd via CV from the first Mother-32... these are definitely two little boxes with a big sound! I can't wait for my 3-Tier rack to be delivered so I can add the third Mother-32 to this setup!

ADDITIONAL NOTE: on part two of this video, I was trying to sync the second Mother-32 in a different way; previously I was syncing from GATE out of one M32 to RUN/STOP in (or to TEMPO in) to the second unit, but the problem with that is, if there is Ratcheting or Gate length changes on the first unit, then the second unit will pick those up. So in this video I used the ASSIGN CV as a sequence tempo out to the TEMPO in of the second unit... unfortunately it didn't work quite like I had hoped, so I'll need to experiment with this more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7VxECHLkQ
Last edited by jido-genshi on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:16 am

bigcatrik wrote:How smooth can we expect the MIDI CC to CV to be? I would want to use a breath controller to control the filter cutoff. The M-32 manual doesn't say anything about CC smoothing (my Little Phatty aliases/crackles with MIDI).
hi rik - i was thinking about this myself as i currently drive a sub 37 with an akai ewi. took me a while to find a solution to the aliasing / stepping on the breath pressure, but in the end i hit on assigning the correct cc number (19 IIRC) from the akai which then controls the filter cut off. totally smooth :-)

looking in the manual for the mother 32 it looks like the midi implementation is much simpler and i've got a feeling i'll be out of luck with the mother and ewi combo...

si

bigcatrik

Post by bigcatrik » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Sihaz wrote:looking in the manual for the mother 32 it looks like the midi implementation is much simpler and i've got a feeling i'll be out of luck with the mother and ewi combo...
si
It actually looks fairly simple. Plug a MIDI cable from the EWI into the M32, assign your preferred CC to the "Assign" jack and connect that to whatever jack you want to control. I have an EWI4000S. The EWI5000 should be similar (I don't have or know much about the EWI-USB). It should work great, if the resulting CV signal is smooth. Anybody?
Rik
------------
www.BaroqueNow.com
www.RaveBots.com

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:44 pm

Demon Dan,

Thanks so much for the video on the Mother-32. Great work as usual.

Now my question is more about your video's in general... What sort of setup do you have when you record your video's? How many people on your video team? How many different camera's? Do you do the video editing or have someone else do it? What camera? What audio interface? Etc. etc. etc...

Stephen

Dahgrow

Post by Dahgrow » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi! New here, and new to the world of synthesizers (though not to the world of making music). I've always wanted a synth and the Mother-32, with the option to expand into the world of eurorack, seemed like a great starting point.

I have a question about over-voltage. The manual says "when connecting to inputs, only connect one output signal to a single input to prevent over-voltages." But when I was watching the demo video, I noticed that one of the patches had a two noise outputs from two different M-32s to one input, VCO LIN FM, on the second unit. Are there certain inputs that can withstand more than one output, or does this have something to do with the fact that there were two M-32s involved in this arrangement? I just want to make sure that I'm getting the most out of these without potentially rendering them damaged and useless!

Thanks!

carlotter

Post by carlotter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:46 am

Hi there,

Quick question before I do something stupid: I've got a Mother-32 on pre-order, a Minitaur and a Little Phatty. Someone wants to buy my LP, and I'm wondering if there's much I will miss from the LP in regards to functionality if I chain the Mother-32 and the Minitaur? I know the Minitaur can't go as high, and I won't be able to save presets, but is there anything else?

Thanks

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:37 am

carlotter wrote:Someone wants to buy my Little Phatty, and I'm wondering if there's much I will miss from the LP in regards to functionality if I chain the Mother-32 and the Minitaur? I know the Minitaur can't go as high, and I won't be able to save presets, but is there anything else?
There are some who prefer the sound of the Little Phatty over the more recent Sub Phatty or Sub 37.
And it certainly can go way higher than the Minitaur. {The Minitaur *can* save presets, BTW.}

But the best reasons to keep the Little Phatty are its Arpeggiator (which is different than, but as equally desirable as the M-32's Step Sequencer) and its ability to get the CV OUTs Modification, which would give you GATE CV, PITCH CV, MOD BUSS CV, VOL CV, and FILTER CV Outputs that could all be connected to the various 3.5mm jacks on the Mother-32.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

bac0n

Post by bac0n » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:45 am

Is the Mother-32 able to accept tempo from a DAW like Ableton? I have tried a bunch of settings in set up mode and haven't been able to get the tempo LED to blink green. I have the MIDI going straight into the M32 from my audio interface.