Subharmonicon Firmware 1.1 Update Not Working

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
shinhito

Subharmonicon Firmware 1.1 Update Not Working

Post by shinhito » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:24 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for updating the Subharmonicon Firmware?

The instructions don't say anything special needs to be done, but when I send the first 'INVALIDATE.syx' file nothing happens. The instructions say that "You should see the Step 1 LED of Sequencer 1 blinking on/off" after sending the .syx file but this does not happen.

The odd thing is that all other MIDI functionality works via Ableton Live, and I am also able to properly send the .syx files for changing the Subharmonicon's MIDI channel. Generally the MIDI indicator light lights up when sending those .syx files, but when sending the INVALIDATE.syx file the MIDI indicator doesn't even light up.

I've tried two MIDI Out devices and have gotten the same results unfortunately.

Any helps or suggestions would be super appreciated!

vjf1968

Re: Subharmonicon Firmware 1.1 Update Not Working

Post by vjf1968 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:31 am

I just had a similar problem but this video helped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBQ2cTl ... DomiFotaro

Do the whole thing over again but reset your device that is sending the MIDI (ex. Audio Interface)

If you are using Sysex Librarian be sure to lower your transmission speed to about 70% and it takes a little while (about 5 minutes give or take)before you get the turn on "light show".

curnow

Post by curnow » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:32 pm

I found that after sending the first file I had no LED's light up so I got worried and jumped on a chat with Moog. They said to start again and just follow the process. They also suggested a slower 50% transfer speed. Transferred the files as directed and it worked fine but I didn't see any LED's light up until it restarted.

Méka

Post by Méka » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:30 am

For Mac users only :
I do a first try with SysEx Librarian 1.5 on Mac Mini M1 Big Sur with Keystep and ConnectMIDI4 ; this don’t work !
I do a second try with SysEx Librarian 1.4.1 on Mac Mini Intel 6core Mojave and ConnectMIDI4 ; this work fine at the first time….
Don’t worry, yours Subharmonicon are working fine ! Try to make your firmware Upgrade with a good old computer and a good old software ! :D

timdew

Post by timdew » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:06 pm

I fixed this on my Mac by lowering the transmit speed to 50% as suggested AND setting the "Transmit buffer Size" to 4.

Riggar

Post by Riggar » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:33 pm

Just a quick note for Windows 10 update with Bome SendSX
PC connected to MOTU M4 - midi out via normal 5 pin DIn to 5 pin Din - connected to Type A Din female socket to 3.5mm cable - and the to midi in on Subharmonicon

Using Bome software - can't drag required files - need to open them in order - then SEND.
At first this didn't work - even though Bome messages confirmed data sent.
You do need to see the lights come on as described

I got it work on the 3rd attempt by setting the speed of transfer slider bar (in settings) to the mid point (roughly)
It didn't work with the default setting which is a tad slower.

Test it after - set up the Subharmonicon to run a sequence - connect a midi keyboard (in my case Keystep) to the Subharmonicon - you should be able to transpose the sequence - this is a new addition in 1.1.0

AlwaysCrashing

Post by AlwaysCrashing » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:03 am

Really useful info in this discussion. Finally got my Sub to update using timdew's method ! Thanks all :D

jwo

Post by jwo » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:32 am

Just wanted to chip in here, Really valuable advice!
I got my Subharmonicon updated fine after following timedew's method.
Had chills down my spine for a while.
My main mistake was not writing down ALL details on SysExLibrarian settings I had been forced to adjust before getting my Mother-32 updated a year ago or so.
So once again, thanks to you guys in the forum! :D

Boricua

Post by Boricua » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:51 pm

Thank you very much for the various insights to updating the Subharmonicon FW. I was able to update the FW using the SysEx Librarian v1.5.1 (on my Mac), while using the recommended settings (transmit speed 50%, and, buffer size 4) posted by timdew.

novakarol

Post by novakarol » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:11 pm

vjf1968 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:31 am I just had a similar problem but this video helped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBQ2cTl ... DomiFotaro Moreover, the 811 angel number is believed to signify career success.

Do the whole thing over again but reset your device that is sending the MIDI (ex. Audio Interface)

If you are using Sysex Librarian be sure to lower your transmission speed to about 70% and it takes a little while (about 5 minutes give or take)before you get the turn on "light show".
Thanks for sharing the video. This literally saved my time and energy (and nerves!) :)