Matriarch + Sub 37

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
MaxFerency

Matriarch + Sub 37

Post by MaxFerency » Sat May 21, 2022 11:00 pm

How do I get my Matriarch to send compatible CV to my Sub 37? I wanted the Sub 37 to track the bottom of the chords I was playing on the Matriarch put running the KB CV OUT of the Matriarch to the Pitch CV of the Sub 37 but it didn't work. Looking at the manuals the Matriarch out is -5V to +5V (or 0 to +10V if you change the global setting) but the Pitch CV of the Sub 37 is 0 to +5V. I tried running it through the attenuator but the pitch didn't track properly. Any recommendations for the conversion?
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

stiiiiiiive

Re: Matriarch + Sub 37

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon May 23, 2022 8:40 am

I don't have any of these instruments but I have a simple question: what is the value of the CV sent by the Matriarch KB OUT when you play a chord?

Put another way: is there a parameter that helps th Matriach decide what note of the chord should determine the sent CV?

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Mon May 23, 2022 11:33 am

I'm not sure the specific voltage but the Matriarch out is a 10v range and Sub 37 is a 5v range in. I tried sending it through the Matriarch antenuator first but even I was able to use that to tune one note correctly, the other notes above and below don't stay in tune. I guess a CV converter module that cuts the CV in half would be the only option, right?
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon May 23, 2022 2:32 pm

I'm not sure to understand, but please allow me to put us on the same page :)

A CV signal will carry only one pitch information at a time, i.e. it "speaks monophonic", unlike a MIDI signal.
If you press several keys on the Matriarch keyboard, it may play several notes because the synth knows how to manage this and "distribute" the keys to different voices of its engine.
That being said, the KEY CV OUT will certainly not carry so much information, but only one voltage corresponding to only one pitch, i.e. one note (speaks monophonic...). This will occur whatever range the synths work with, 5V or 10V.
Was that clear to you?

Now, what I understood is you expect the Sub37 to play the same note as the lower key you pressed on the Matriarch, correct?
If so, I think you should make sure the Matriarch will send the CV signal for this very note through KEY CV OUT when you play such a chord.

I hopethis helps, but please let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything :)

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Mon May 23, 2022 10:22 pm

No, what I'm saying is that I can't even get it to track properly monophonically. If I put the Matriarch in monophonic mode and play only one note at a time on the Matriarch while the KB CV out is running into the Sub 37 Pitch CV in, it creates notes on the Sub 37 but nothing in tune. If I instead run the KB CV out through the Matriarch's attenuater and into the Pitch In, I can the tune the Sub 37 to the C on the Matriarch's keyboard that I'm playing. However, if I play the E below that on the Matriarch, it plays a G on the Sub 37 and if I play an F an octave and half below the C, it plays the C an octave below the tuned C.

Also, the KB CV Out only ever sends the last pitch you played even if you are still holding down other notes on the keyboard still.

But back to monophonic playing, I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to make the CV voltage ranges between the instruments compatible.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 am

Ok, thanks for these precisions about the monophonic mode and the behaviour of the KEY CV OUT.

Based on your experiments, it seems indeed to be CV range/offset related. I'm not sure if this is a normal behaviour or a real problem, but I think th best way to have it working as of now is to use:
- an attenuator to match the range: what you're aiming at is that e.g. C keys of the Matriarch will always play the same notes on the Sub37, whatver this note is e.g. an F;
- a constant CV added to/substracted from the previously attenuated signal: what you're aiming at now is that e.g. a C key of the Matriarch will play the right C note on the Sub37.

Again, I'm not sure if this is a nominal behaviour. Please anyone try MaxFerency's set up and report :)