Matriarch LIN FM IN

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
algesten

Matriarch LIN FM IN

Post by algesten » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:03 am

Hi! I’m trying to get something reasonable sounding using the LIN FM IN. If I understand FM correctly, one starting point is to have a fixed carrier wave, and then using frequency modulation of that carrier wave to alter the pitch according to the modulation rate.

The way the Matriarch is wired, is that even possible?

Example: If I use OSC2 to be my “carrier wave”, I’ll wire OSC1 into the LIN FM IN on OSC2. But the “carrier wave” in this scenario would never be fixed, because the OSC2 is always alternating in pitch from the KB.

It seems to that using the LIN FM IN on the Matriarch, it’s possible to get harsh crazy sounds, but it can’t really be “tamed” to something harmonic sounding because the carrier wave always changes.

It could very well be that I’m lacking understanding of FM. Maybe I’m missing something?

Suspish

Re: Matriarch LIN FM IN

Post by Suspish » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:55 pm

You could try using an LFO that goes into audio rates, or you can patch a dummy cable in the Osc 2 in, then it will not be affected by the keyboard.

algesten

Post by algesten » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Using an LFO in audio range wouldn’t really help me though, since for LIN FM IN the carrier wave is the OSC, not the modulation, and there is no LIN FM IN to modulate any LFO.

And for dead patching PITCH IN, I don’t think that works. The manual says:
PITCH IN (Exponential Frequency Modulation)
A control signal connected to this input will modulate the Pitch (Frequency) of a patched oscillator and all subsequent oscillators, unless a subsequent oscillator is also receiving a modulation signal via its own PITCH IN jack. This input voltage is added to the voltage from the note played on the keyboard.
Or maybe I misunderstand you?

bmiller128

Post by bmiller128 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:15 pm

FM-based synthesizers have all the oscillators (carriers and modulators) track the keyboard, so using OSC2 as the carrier and OSC1 as the modulator (OSC1 WAVE OUT -> OSC2 LIN FM) is the same basic idea.

On the Matriarch, though, if you put a full-amplitude wave into a LIN FM input, it's way too much to be very musically useful. If you feed it through an attenuator first (with the pot set just slightly away from zero) then you can get a reasonably in-tune and usable note.

-Ben

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Out of curiosity, did you try the FM Bender patch from the 2nd Patchbook?

If you haven't yet, that might be worth patching up, then breaking down to learn how it works. I started patching it, then gave up when I ran out of cables. :D

Bachboy1

Post by Bachboy1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:45 am

bmiller128 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:15 pm FM-based synthesizers(list of) have all the oscillators (carriers and modulators) track the keyboard, so using OSC2 as the carrier and OSC1 as the modulator (OSC1 WAVE OUT -> OSC2 LIN FM) is the same basic idea.

On the Matriarch, though, if you put a full-amplitude wave into a LIN FM input, it's way too much to be very musically useful. If you feed it through an attenuator first (with the pot set just slightly away from zero) then you can get a reasonably in-tune and usable note.

-Ben
It's a true, thx for a comment. When my Yamaha FM synth stops being a toy for me and I start studying...
Cheers