Is it possible to modulate the rate of the arp in the Grandmother?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Arp_p

Is it possible to modulate the rate of the arp in the Grandmother?

Post by Arp_p » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi,
I want the arpeggiator of the grandmother to increase and decrease the rate of the notes by modulating it with an LFO or something like that, is this possible? I patched the wave out of the LFO to the attenuator (to not send the full cv values of the LFO)and from the attenuator to the clock in (in the back panel) and the rate doesn't increase or decrease, I suspect because I am not sending clock signals, but in the Subsequent 37 was really easy to do, just assign an LFO to the rate of the arp and that was it, then I could create very nice swings in the rate of the arp.
Is this possible to in the Grandmother?
Cheers!

dct

Re: Is it possible to modulate the rate of the arp in the Grandmother?

Post by dct » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:41 pm

I'm also curious.
The problem is not the signal from LFO WAVE OUT (through ATTN) to CLOCK IN. I did also play around with that combination for other purposes. After a while the SEQ/ARP locks in and can be triggered by the LFO.

The problem is you are sending a fixed rate (frequency) to the clock. The LFO by itself changes only the amplitude. What we need here is a changing FM signal. I didn't figure it out how I could generate a varying FM control signal by the GM itself.
keys: CX-3 II, GRANDMOTHER, streichfett, ZEN DELAY

tick-tock

Post by tick-tock » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:00 am

It does work, but don't use the attenuator, go directly from the modular wave out to the clock in. (Attenuating sets the signal from -signal max to 0 then up to signal max, so if the LFO output is +/- 5v, the attenuator will only send a rising edge greater than 2.5v if it is a quarter past center in either direction.) As the rate is triggered when a signal's rising edge is detected, it won't matter if the LFO is in sine or any other waveform as long as the voltage passes 2.5v.

Also remember, when arp rate is synced, playing with the arp rate knob will set even or dotted note values.

Hope that helps!

Arp_p

Post by Arp_p » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:06 pm

Thanks! I am going to give it a try :-)