Choosing between Model 10 and 15

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
ritual_of_the_sea

Choosing between Model 10 and 15

Post by ritual_of_the_sea » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:03 pm

Hello all, got into Euro about 2.5 years ago and got a Matriarch a few months ago. I had the privilege of trying a vintage Model 15 last weekend. I didn't know what to expect and really enjoyed the hour I spent with it, so I'm now considering investing in a Model 10 or 15 reissue.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Model 15 for three main reasons:

1. The sync on the 921 oscillators
2. The extra VCA
3. Tuning stability

Downsides to the Model 15:

1. It's not currently in production and I'd need to buy one second hand.
2. If I got a Model 10 new from Sweetwater I could take advantage of their 36-month zero interest financing.

Currently I can only find one Model 15 second-hand online, and I've looked high and low. If that Model 15 is still available in about a month I might go for it. Otherwise I guess I might wait until another one comes up, hopefully in the northeast of the U.S. so I can drive to pick it up...unless I get impatient and pull the trigger on a brand new Model 10.

Regarding the possibility of "settling" for a Model 10: I really love the sync functionality on my Matriarch, and if I had to choose between the sync on the 921s versus the "magic" of the 901s that many people talk about, I'm guessing I'd prefer the sync.

Also worth mentioning: I'm looking to control my Model 10/15 with a KeyStep. I understand that I will need to invert the gates using the Arturia software, and that I will need a 3.5mm to TS cable for CV, and a male 3.5mm to female TS adapters with something like the Dot Com V-trig to S-trig cable for the gate. Does that sound right?

AlakaLazlo

Re: Choosing between Model 10 and 15

Post by AlakaLazlo » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:23 pm

The other major advantage to 921s is Pulse Width Modulation. 901s only have fixed/manual pulse width. But they are magic sounding. I have 2 vintage abbb sets and you'd have to pry them from my cold dead hands...
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:01 pm

I have a 10 and love it. It is super fun to play / create awesome sound. Tuning drift is a real thing and can be a bit of a challenge but also much of it's charm. I've managed to get a pretty solid 2 + pushing 3 octaves with pretty good tracking once its warmed up.

I've only 'played' with the model 15 iPad app and it is also super fun and I'd love to own a 15 as well but I can't see that happening. I 'settled' for the 10 only because I wanted one of the vintage 'portable' modulars and the 10 was in production so ordered one new (took most of a year to get it) and I have no regrets.

I think you've maybe answered your question if sync is a key feature for you but either way, I think you'll love a 10 or a 15.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

J
Last edited by TheDigitalMan on Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ritual_of_the_sea

Post by ritual_of_the_sea » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:32 pm

AlakaLazlo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:23 pm The other major advantage to 921s is Pulse Width Modulation. 901s only have fixed/manual pulse width. But they are magic sounding. I have 2 vintage abbb sets and you'd have to pry them from my cold dead hands...
Ah yes, that is a huge advantage, indeed...big fan of PWM.

ritual_of_the_sea

Post by ritual_of_the_sea » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:43 pm

TheDigitalMan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:01 pmI 'settled' for the 10 only because I wanted one of the vintage 'portable' modulars and the 10 was in production so ordered one new (took most of a year to get it) and I have no regrets.
Very similar to where I am, considering the 10 in part because it's what's currently in production. Interesting choice by Moog in that they seem to be producing more 10s than 15s...I wonder if they perhaps decided that the sound of the 901s is more in-demand than all the unique features of the 15...?

Sweetwater just told me they have one Model 10 remaining to be claimed in their July order, so I guess I'd be waiting about four months if I went that route!

The seller of the Model 15 I'm looking at said I could put 10% down and they would reserve it for me. It's in Australia. I'm in the U.S. and I'm not crazy about getting it shipped from there but I feel the price is right, it looks very clean, and includes all the original patch cables and the manual. It doesn't include the original box (something I'm usually picky about), but seeing that they only made 150 of these, I might need to pull the trigger on this one. I also found one for sale nearby in the U.S. but it's more expensive and I don't know yet if they will accept my offer.

ritual_of_the_sea

Post by ritual_of_the_sea » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:31 pm

Well I did it, I made a down payment on a Model 15. :D Hoping to have it sometime in May. I'm looking to control it with an Arturia KeyStep (with S-trig converter cables). Even if I get a Complement B someday, I think I would still like to have the unique features of the KeyStep sequencer and arpeggiator.

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:36 am

Nice man - congrats :)

PaulLawler

Post by PaulLawler » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:29 am

ritual_of_the_sea wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:31 pm Well I did it, I made a down payment on a Model 15. :D Hoping to have it sometime in May. I'm looking to control it with an Arturia KeyStep (with S-trig converter cables). Even if I get a Complement B someday, I think I would still like to have the unique features of the KeyStep sequencer and arpeggiator.
I have both the 10+15 now and you made the right choice. The tuning/scaling on the 10 is very difficult to work with whereas the 15 is almost instantaneous greatness.

elsapo2001

Post by elsapo2001 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:21 pm

The Problem in finding one used is in general owners keep them. I bought the Model 15 and the Minimoog reissue and they are still with me. They will never leave the studio 8)

Anyhow congrats on finding one, how do you like it so far.

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:21 am

ritual_of_the_sea wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:32 pm
AlakaLazlo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:23 pm The other major advantage to 921s is Pulse Width Modulation. 901s only have fixed/manual pulse width. But they are magic sounding. I have 2 vintage abbb sets and you'd have to pry them from my cold dead hands...
Ah yes, that is a huge advantage, indeed...big fan of PWM.
It is quite easy to add PWM to a 901. I did that for my 901 clones. See my 901 clone and upgrade site
I integrated an additional original Moog-style CV input buffer and mixer stage to each 901 which is connected to the internal saw-to-square converter. It works perfectly. And you are right, the PWM is magic. If you apply similar but not identical sines in terms of frequency to the three PWMs you get a magic phasing which is very nice.
Feel free to use my circuit extension from my web site. Or I can do the integration for you, if you like. I think I could provide a daughter board for that which does not affect the original board beside one solder point. Contact me offlist via email ([email protected]) or via private message if interested.