960++; Sequencer Clone

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
analogmonster

960++; Sequencer Clone

Post by analogmonster » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:40 am

Hi folks,

well, at the end I did it. In times of MIDI applications and software sequencers there is no need for a hardware sequencer module, I said. But I was wrong. I played around with a 960 of a friend, and then I knew that I want a sequencer.

As this should fit to my System 55 clone project, it had to be at least a kind of 960 clone. But looking at the original circuit diagrams I decided to reimplement the whole logic in a microcontroller based design. The 960 does not affect any sound creation or sound processing, just contains control functions and logic, so I decided to clone just the functions, not the interior.
T960_Board_2.JPG
Specification:
  • All functions of the 960
  • + 16 x 1 steps
  • + 24 x 1 steps
  • + MIDI capabilities
  • + Ratchet functions
  • + ISP
And using a microcontroller design offered a whole bunch of additional features, which the original can't deal with, as row selection without the need of a sequential switch, MIDI capabilities and one of my personal favorites, the wonderful ratchet effect.

And this is just the beginning of it. The T960 provides an ISP interface to upload any additional feature your weird fantasy can create, so the T960 is a huge playground for synthesizer control.
T960_Front.JPG
Here are some videos to show some (extra) functions:

T960 Demo 1: Ratcheting and MIDI Out
T960 Demo 2: 16 and 24 Step Mode
T960 Demo 3: Synchronization to incoming MIDI stream

Please find all technical description on the corresponding web site of my System 55 clone project

Hope you like it :) Any comments welcome...

ummagumma

Re: 960++; Sequencer Clone

Post by ummagumma » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:50 am

Wow!!!!

Speechless....amazing work, congrats!

One thing I'd like to do is add a toggle, so I can disengage the internal VCO from my Q960. I always use an external clock, so it's just sitting there doing nothing.

If I could use it as an audio oscillator, it would be much more versatile. Or use it to modulate other stuff etc. And it would let you self ratchet as well.

dingebre

Post by dingebre » Wed May 31, 2023 7:50 pm

Just saw this Carsten! I've emailed about purchasing the PCB and microcontroller.

David
David

http://analoguerealities.com
http://analoguerealities.blogspot.com

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:20 am

Hi David,

nice to hear / read from you. Hope you are fine.

Where did you send the mail to? I've not received anything yet.

Best

Carsten