Synthisizers.com model 22

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
VCO

Re: Synthisizers.com model 22

Post by VCO » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:39 pm

So does that mean you still have a fully functioning Minimoog? I guess if you do you could use it to control your other Modular’s? Your such a engineering nerd LOL

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:52 am

VCO wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:20 pm Wow that’s crazy. Your friend is very generous. I remember seeing a utube video of a system 55 with a Minimoog built into the moog system 55 modular. This guy was playing a Keith Emerson composition. I couldn’t figure out how he was playing two parts at once and then realized he had two separate voices . He sounds exactly like the transcription of the KE composition. Take care happy new year. That’s so cool you know how to engineer all that equipment.
Happy new year for you as well :wink:

I saw this video as well. Wasn't it noddyspuncture? If I remember correctly it was an original and complete Minimoog integrated in his modular setup. Basically a good idea, especially if you want higher stability of the voices. The reason is that the temperature based drift compensation of the Moog Modular VCOs are suboptimal due to a diode array solution (901) and a tempco solution (921) which both work only for a small temperature range, whereas the Minimoog uses a heated transistor array (3046 or 3086) which also works within a fridge (no joke, tested by a friend of mine) and on the desert planet tatooine as well :mrgreen:
VCO wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:22 pm What are you using as the keyboard controller?
Well, what can I say, it is an own development :mrgreen: I cloned the Moog Modular 950 keyboard and midified it, probably I will go to hell for this sacrilege :lol:

Original:
950_panel.jpg
My clone:
T950.jpg

See also http://www.analog-monster.de/mmt950_en.html

VCO wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:39 pm ...Your such a engineering nerd LOL
Oh yes man, I am, with the emphasis on "nerd" :lol: :lol: :lol:

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:07 pm

I don’t know the persons name in that video. He had really long hair. It must be the same person.
That modular looked and sounded really cool. I would guess that modular he had was vintage and must have been modded to have that Minimoog imbedded in the modular. It would be interesting to know what year that modular was. Would you think maybe 1963 or 64? I think the Minimoog model D
Was released in 1970, the same year the Beatles broke up. Gerorge Harrison had a modular moog he used on here comes the sun. I think that was on the abbey road album thier last album. In the intro of
Here comes the sun you can hear the modular drifting down like a portamento effect although it wasn’t planned although they decided to keep it on the recording because they liked the effect. The abbey road album was 1969. George Harrison used a custom built moog and didn’t really understand how to use it. I use to remember which moog modular he used. I think there was a portable one that
was used. It wasn’t a system 55 or 35 though. It would be cool to know all the different modular moogs that were made and what years and different design changes through out the various years and models. I’m sure if you look on the web you can find what model moog George Harrison used.
I think The Rolling Stones had a moog modular as well. Are you planning on building any more Modular’s? Blessings take care like all your designs there really cool looking and I bet they sound great. I think moog started making modular synths in 1964 not sure though. Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:42 pm

The Beatles also used a moog modular on the song because and maxwells silver hammer. All those synths parts I can still remember in my head to this very day. Moog modular synths are something special. I just read an informative
article about the history of how the moog modular came to be used on those classic albums and the musicians that used them.

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:26 am

VCO wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:07 pm I don’t know the persons name in that video. He had really long hair. It must be the same person.
Sounds like him.
VCO wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:07 pm ...Are you planning on building any more Modular’s? Blessings take care like all your designs there really cool looking and I bet they sound great.
I still have the empty modular cabinet from my µNet project. I started on research for a new module, and if it works, this will be the first module of the 3rd cabinet. Modular System 1 (Formant) and Modular System 2 (Moog System 55 Clone) are completely full.
VCO wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:42 pm ...Moog modular synths are something special. I just read an informative
article about the history of how the moog modular came to be used on those classic albums and the musicians that used them.
Do you now this page? http://moogarchives.com/

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:31 pm

That’s cool. I checked out the Boog modular 55 . It sounded cool. I noticed the frequency range on the oscillators seemed to be a lot wider than on my voyager. It seems that’ with modular you have to really know your signal path even just to patch let alone add modules. Very precise and very deep. That guy with the modular 55 is the same guy that played Kieth Emerson’s Tarkus. I just saw him on YouTube. That pro3 I have can really get some wild sounds,
Reminds me of a modular. That eurorack seems like a commitment aswell and I saw that they offer the 35 and other modular models even the Roland modular I think it’s the 100. I remember along time ago seeing an EMU modular and a serge when I first learned of the system 55. Was it cheaper for you to make your moog system 55 clone than purchase a comparable synthesizer . com modular? Even those seem expensive but I’ve heard thier a good modular to get. And there’s other companies as well. Take care

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:37 pm

I checked out the moog archives page you suggested. Seems like a wealth of information. My one friend from North Carolina many years ago met Robert Moog. My friend worked for a dance class at a university playing the piano for the dance class and the university had purchased an alesis andromeda. He would bring it home with him although he didn’t know how to really play it being from a piano background.

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:49 am

VCO wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:31 pm ...Was it cheaper for you to make your moog system 55 clone than purchase a comparable synthesizer . com modular?...
No, it wasn't. But I as a technical nerd :mrgreen: wanted to understand the circuits to be able to (re)produce any amount of modules I want to be able to build modular synthesizers of any size and complexity. And I wanted to be able to modify / customize the module clones according to my needs. And my knowledge about microcontrollers, software development and microporocessors gave me the ability to integrate the modulars in any modern studio environments and gave me the ability to add functions to modules like for my 960 sequencer clone (ratcheting, 16 x 1 and 24 x 1 steps, MIDI capabilities etc.), even to create a polyphonic modular.
VCO wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:37 pm I checked out the moog archives page you suggested. Seems like a wealth of information. My one friend from North Carolina many years ago met Robert Moog. My friend worked for a dance class at a university playing the piano for the dance class and the university had purchased an alesis andromeda. He would bring it home with him although he didn’t know how to really play it being from a piano background.
Where do you live?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:39 am

VCO wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:42 pm The Beatles also used a moog modular on the song because and maxwells silver hammer.
... and maybe Here comes the sun. To be checked if this synth sound comes from a Moog :)

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:22 am

stiiiiiiive wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:39 am
VCO wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:42 pm The Beatles also used a moog modular on the song because and maxwells silver hammer.
... and maybe Here comes the sun. To be checked if this synth sound comes from a Moog :)
According to Wikipedia it does.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:35 am

You can hear the moog modular drifting in the intro right before the singing of the first line here comes the sun.. it was decided to keep that in the recording although it wasn’t intended. It was considered a musical mistake that wasn’t edited off the recording. I want you she’s so heavy is another one they used a moog modular 3 on. The article I read was the story behind the Beatles discovering the Moog on Abbey Road.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:04 am

You can read about how the Beatles came to use a moog synthesizer in that article. The story behind the Beatles discovering the Moog on Abbey Road. George Harrison’s modular is described there.I think it said it cost about 15,000 dollars if I remember right and said would be over 100,000 now. I think he was introduced to it in 1967 two years before the legendary abbey road album. Check out the article.
I saw the Studer Multitrack the Beatles used on Sargent Pepper years ago. They dubbed all those tracks with it. There’s a fellow named Steve christy on YouTube that has a segment called vintage keys studio where he shows the organ that was used on Lucy in the sky with diamonds and also the organ used on Let It Be. He’s in the UK. SP was recorded in 1965 I believe if I remember correctly.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:08 am

Lucy in the sky with diamonds was done on a lowery organ and lLet it be be was done on a hammond tonewheel organ.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:26 am

That moog 3P cost about 7,985 in 1969. I think I miss quoted the cost before. Moog reissued it and today it cost 35,000.
Only 40 were made.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:28 am

Although George Harrison’s moog was custom so it could have cost more.