Synthisizers.com model 22

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
ummagumma

Re: Synthisizers.com model 22

Post by ummagumma » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:57 pm

analogmonster wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:08 am He he, did you know that COTK is a customer of me? They bought inductor sets for their 907 clone from me, not officially but in a secret manner via a third party organization in the background :lol: As if I would trade with fuzes for thermonuclear explosive devices :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow, that's funny!

I keep hearing about those inductor based FFB's. I have a Yusynth FFB which I like a lot

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:02 am

ummagumma wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:57 pm I keep hearing about those inductor based FFB's. I have a Yusynth FFB which I like a lot
Gene Stopp asked me on behalf of Moog whether I could deliver inductor sets shortly before the Moog Modular reissue activities started, but obviously he has chosen someone else :(

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:52 pm

My August Forester was made in Lobau Germany . It is 42 years old.

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:58 pm

What is a Yusynth FFB?

VCO

Post by VCO » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:13 pm

It’s a fixed filter bank I read This modular gear is so different from a standalone synth. Does a modular
Synth sound vastly different from say a Minimoog or a voyager?

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:29 am

VCO wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:13 pm It’s a fixed filter bank I read This modular gear is so different from a standalone synth. Does a modular
Synth sound vastly different from say a Minimoog or a voyager?
It depends on you. Keyboard synthesizer like Minimoog or Voyager have a (mostly) predefined signal and CV flow due to internal wiring, whereas modular synths are completeley open, so you can feed audio signals in CV inputs and vice versa and connect the functions (modules) as you like as your patch, which offers additional sound creating possibilities compared to keyboard synthesizer. And as the sound of a synthesizer is mainly determined by the filter topology you can do specific experiments like adding a Moog ladder (System 55, Memory Moog, Prodigy, Minimoog, etc.) to a Formant Modular or add an Oberheim State Variable VCF to a Moog Modular which enhances the possibilities much higher than using a predefined keyboard synth. So my recommendation always is: Use a Modular synth and specialize the sound according to your taste and needs. A Voyager or Mini sounds gorgeous, but the real experimenting starts with a modular.

AFAIK an inductor based Fixed Filter Bank like the Moog 907 or 914 never has been built into a keyboard synth :) To use the unique sound of this famous filter you need a modular. Find my report of this filter here.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:44 am

I see. Coming from a piano playing background I never realized or thought about the way a modular can be set up. seems to be a instrument that is customizable and that you decide what you want it to sound like contingent upon what
Is used in the signal path. It’s like an audio erector set . I’ve midied my voyager and my Seqpro3 together and it had timbres that sounded hybrid. The Seqpro3 has the three filter types and one of the oscillators being a wavetable oscillator. The sequencer is pretty advanced. I’m intrigued by modular but between the voyager and the sequential pro3
I have one dedicated analog monophonic and one paraphonic/monophonic hybrid analog. I’ve read that you can have a modular setup with pre wired patches and that you can swap out the cords so in a live performance you could change your patches quickly. Modular is really cool and it seems so highly customizable that I can see where you could get addicted to getting new modules and the perpetual nature of expanding it.

VCO

Post by VCO » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:01 pm

If I understood modular as well as you do I would want to get one. I’m hoping to get an OBX8 so that would destroy a budget to get a modular. I’ve looked at those synthesizer.com Modular’s but thier quite expensive as well. I guess I could use my voyager to control one. I’m just a jazz piano player so predefined synths are probably best for me. Presets and memory are what i rely on . I come up with patches that I’ve modified from other presets. I’m not really a programmer.
I don’t think I could even patch up a modular and get sound. I need training wheels. A synth like an arp 2600 would be
A good one since it’s semi modular and normalized. Thier so expensive the full sized ones korg made. The used market has inflated the prices for them although korg offers the smaller ones as well.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:44 am

analogmonster wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:02 am
Gene Stopp asked me on behalf of Moog whether I could deliver inductor sets shortly before the Moog Modular reissue activities started, but obviously he has chosen someone else :(
That's too bad. It would have been nice to have been a part of, and have a part *in* the reissues!

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:53 am

VCO wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:44 am ...I’ve read that you can have a modular setup with pre wired patches and that you can swap out the cords so in a live performance you could change your patches quickly.
Yes, The System 55 is at least partially pre-wired, some other modulars have a complete pre-wired setup which you can use, but you don't have to. It just eases a quick start, but the more interesting things you patch yourself.
VCO wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:44 am Modular is really cool and it seems so highly customizable that I can see where you could get addicted to getting new modules and the perpetual nature of expanding it.
Oh yeah, it is sometimes like consumig drugs :lol:
VCO wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:01 pm If I understood modular as well as you do I would want to get one. I’m hoping to get an OBX8 so that would destroy a budget to get a modular. I’ve looked at those synthesizer.com Modular’s but thier quite expensive as well. I guess I could use my voyager to control one. I’m just a jazz piano player so predefined synths are probably best for me. Presets and memory are what i rely on . I come up with patches that I’ve modified from other presets. I’m not really a programmer.
I don’t think I could even patch up a modular and get sound. I need training wheels. A synth like an arp 2600 would be
A good one since it’s semi modular and normalized. Thier so expensive the full sized ones korg made. The used market has inflated the prices for them although korg offers the smaller ones as well.
There are options for expandable starter kits like the Behringer System 55. They are Eurorack though.
ummagumma wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:44 am
analogmonster wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:02 am Gene Stopp asked me on behalf of Moog whether I could deliver inductor sets shortly before the Moog Modular reissue activities started, but obviously he has chosen someone else :(
That's too bad. It would have been nice to have been a part of, and have a part *in* the reissues!
I think he preferred a local US producer instead of importing from Germany.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:52 pm

I think that kit is like 4,000 dollars for the Boog system 55 I’m going by memory. I would probably get a RI Minimoog
Before getting that. I’ve had B equipment before and it crapped out on me. I have a 24/8 buss mixer that’s works ok though. With them I think it’s hit or miss on build quality. Those Boog model Ds sound pretty good though . I just don’t like how small the knobs are. I don’t think those Boog model Ds will ever be worth anything though except for the fact you can get the model D sound but not the playing experience of a real Minimoog.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:04 pm

Nothing like the real thing though. My thing is I’m not a synthisist. I just like to play synths. That’s why presets are good for for my application. I’m visually impaired and don’t think I would be able to see well enough to patch a modular. I know modular is such a different thing. It’s really cool though and I envy those that have a modular and the potential to create
Timbres that are unique.

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:26 am

VCO wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:52 pm ...I would probably get a RI Minimoog...
I have one here in my studio. A friend gave it to me. He told me what he paid for it, and then he had to reanimate me as I processed an immediate shutdown by getting a fainting spell to survive the shock :shock: Incredible expensive :(

It sounds gorgeous, but I don't use it. I just cloned the oscillators for my System 55 Clone. And I cut the Mini oscillators into driver and oscillator parts according to the Moog Modular Oscillator banks. And I added some other functions. See also http://www.analog-monster.de/mmtminia_en.html and http://www.analog-monster.de/mmtminib_en.html

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:20 pm

Wow that’s crazy. Your friend is very generous. I remember seeing a utube video of a system 55 with a Minimoog built into the moog system 55 modular. This guy was playing a Keith Emerson composition. I couldn’t figure out how he was playing two parts at once and then realized he had two separate voices . He sounds exactly like the transcription of the KE composition. Take care happy new year. That’s so cool you know how to engineer all that equipment.

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:22 pm

What are you using as the keyboard controller?