Best Beginner's Modular?

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
MoogMusicFan81

Best Beginner's Modular?

Post by MoogMusicFan81 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:43 am

What do you guys think was the best beginner's modular synthesizer, in terms of reliability?

I know that while the groundbreaking Minimoog had helped save Moog from complete financial ruin for a time, but, sooner or later, there comes a time when people want to have more available features in a lower-buck synth that the Minimoog doesn't, such as pulse width modulation (PWM).

My guess is the System 15 produced from 1973-81, since the original System I (like all of Moog's early modular outfits produced from 1967-71) had the rather unstable 901 series oscillators and because the 15 (along with its bigger brothers the 35 and 55) was in production the longest and had been recently reissued. Unlike the original System I, which had two oscillators, the 15 had just one oscillator (the new and improved model 921 series).

~Ben

AlakaLazlo

Re: Best Beginner's Modular?

Post by AlakaLazlo » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:37 pm

First, the early Moog modulars (10, 12, IIP, IIC, IIIP, IIIC) had 901 series oscillators while the later modulars (15, 35, 55) had the later 921 series. The 921s were far more stable, tracked better over a wider range and had oscillator sync, but the 901s were pretty magical. (I own an early IIP with 2x 901a/3x901b) and I'd never part with it. (I do wish Moog would sell individual modules however, as I'd love a set of 921s and a 904C coupler, but I digress.)

Many people will suggest that you look at Eurorack as a beginner in the modular world. The modules are generally less expensive, smaller (taking up less cabinet space). and there is a much wider variety of available types of modules. Moog does offer some Eurorack compatible semi-modular gear (Mother 32, DFAM) which would make a nice starting point.

If you prefer 5U (which I most certainly do), at this point, you are looking at a Model 10, or a used Model 15. A Voyager XL would be a great choice too, but they are very expensive on the used market. But - with all due respect to Moog - if you are set on a 5U modular, you might consider looking at Synthesizers.com ("DotCom") for an entry level system. I've supplemented my IIP with a wall of other makers' 5U stuff, and the DotCom cabinets and modules have been excellent. They have a ladder filter that gets close to the Moog, and their oscillators are really stable and have sync and PWM. One tip would be to look at the STG mixer which has more of the Moog modular mixer (CP3) overdrive characteristics which will help a DotCom system get closer to the sound of a Moog.

No, it will never sound exactly the same as a real (especially vintage) Moog. But it's a great place to start and you can always add a real Moog modular later once you are sure you want to build out a 5U system and can justify the expense.

Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

VCO

Re: Best Beginner's Modular?

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:16 pm

That’s beautiful man. It’s a work of art. I’m sure it’s sonically sensational as well. The modular synth in the synth world is like the grand piano in the piano world.

VCO

Re: Best Beginner's Mod

Post by VCO » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:39 pm

I have a moog voyager and sequential pro3. Modular is intriguing. If you had a budget of $3500 dollars and wanted to expand from those two synths into the modular world what equipment would you choose and why? Thanks I know a little about the 5U moog modular synths but of course thier out of the question. I know about synthisizers.com as well.
I know some people use a moog voyager as a starting point to get into the modular. Semi modular is an option too. A little knowledge can be dangerous so I’ would value this forums opinions. I also have been to mod wiggler and read thier posts. I know that’s not a large amount to spend on a modular but I want to use the voyager and the pro3 as controllers and expand from there thanks value your opinions.