KarnEvil 9 - 3rd Impression sequencer....

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15

ummagumma

Re: KarnEvil 9 - 3rd Impression sequencer....

Post by ummagumma » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Can't wait to check this out!! Always great to hear your stuff. Killed my mobile data plan this month already though.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:34 am

Finally watched it. Cool!!

I have never heard that version, I guess it's from the live album?

Your place is like a big science experiment :)

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:52 pm

Yes we do the 'live' version... in the lowered key and also slightly different here and there... and it is the 'CalJam' version I've based my parts on which has a completely different organ solo.

Someone pulled me up on the "smoothness" of the sequencer's speed increase - I pointed out that to operate the ribbon controller properly you really need both hands and one of mine was taken up holding the camera..! :D

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:01 am

Oh, I have never heard their California Jam live performance

I do have a California Jam 2xLP, but the only ELP track on it is a studio track? Bizarre

Maybe there is another version

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:07 pm

Wow, really nice Tom!

What kind of sequencer are you using?
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:04 pm

ummagumma wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:01 am Oh, I have never heard their California Jam live performance

I do have a California Jam 2xLP, but the only ELP track on it is a studio track? Bizarre

Maybe there is another version
It's on YT - here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz6Mj8c ... jamfanclub

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:06 pm

synthguy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:07 pm Wow, really nice Tom!

What kind of sequencer are you using?
It's a custom build one-off.
Three rows of 8 steps like the 960 but 4 separate CV outs with digital programming control and memories.

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:29 pm

Very nice work. The KD 9 Suite is my all time fav! I'd always assumed Emo used an inverted slow decaying EG to gradually increase the speed of the oscillator clocking the 960. That's how I performed that part live back in the late 70s in my ELP cover band.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:24 am

Very cool custom sequencer, Tom!
Does it save presets for different sequences?

Alakalazlo, I thought the same thing about the sequence acceleration, but I thought it might be a slow EG attack driving the clock, and maybe a modified EG with a bigger value timing cap inside.
I remember reading in a forum somewhere that it was sped up from a CV pedal by the tech working behind the Modular (also possible, I guess, but certainly not as exciting).

There are other interesting sequencer things like those repeating sequence arpeggios that play 3 or 4 times after the trumpet-like phrases Keith plays towards the end of the 3rd impression.
Maybe using a clocked sequential switch(es) 3rd gate output to shut off the sequencer clock after it’s been triggered on (somehow) by the keyboard?
It seems to start just after he’s finished playing the phrase….
I really like that effect and have been meaning to try and recreate it.
Www.synthguy.com

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:14 pm

Synthguy,

The repeating arpeggios in KE9 3rd Impression are done by running the sequencer cv out through a (normally closed) VCA to the oscillator cv in. The main keyboard gate is sent to the step 1 on the 960 so the sequencer resets on each key trigger and it stays in time (ish).
The key gate also goes to a 911A trigger delay - set to just over a quarter note of the song tempo - which then goes to a 911 EG set for zero attack and decay and 100% sustain. That EG opens the VCA that the sequencer goes through.
So if you play fast notes, the VCA remains closed and the sequencer doesn't have any effect. But if you hold a note for more than a quarter note, the trigger delay fires the EG that opens the VCA, the sequencer cv controlls the oscillaror pitch, and the arpeggio plays. When you release the key, the VCA closes and the process repeats.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:42 am

That is really clever! :idea: I had not considered using a VCA for the CV, pretty cool idea.
Thanks for the share. :D

I’ve been working along the same lines, using the trigger delay to set the start, but also using the 961CP module to create a controlled stop and reset of the sequencer after a preset time.
This will typically rely on the arp having the first step set to 0 volts (the original key pitch) so the phrase will still be in tune after the sequencer is reset. Using your VCA technique could mitigate that, although my VCAs offsets tend to drift a bit IIRC.
If I can get it working correctly, I’ll be happy to share.
Having that controlled arp at the end of a phrase (with a bit of echo) could be a nice touch for solos, etc.
Www.synthguy.com

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:25 am

Very cool!!

And thanks for the youtube link Noddy, I had never seen that footage before