Spring reverb recommendations?

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
sunny pedaal

Re: Spring reverb recommendations?

Post by sunny pedaal » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:44 pm

It’s the spring itself plus the drivercircuit combination
I think the intelligel spring module with a mediumlength 3 spring belkin spring is my favorite, give it a try

johnwood

Re: Spring reverb recommendations?

Post by johnwood » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:16 am

Charlie Labs wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:46 pm I tried out the Danelectro Spring King tonight, here are some of my initial thoughts.

It's a good pedal but I am most likely not going to keep it. The reverb sounds good, especially at the $120 price point, but it also contains a digital echo/slapback delay that's built in and cant be turned off. I don't need that feature..

Running the Model 10 directly into the Spring King works as long as the you don't drive the modulars mixer too hard, 4-5 or so per input and 4-5 master were working ok for me. Any higher/ more overdriven and I would get intermittent pops as I pressed a key down full signal/no attack. Running the Spring King through a Radial EXTC-SA1 Reamp box first, then into the Spring King allows the modulars mixers to be turned up fully(I haven't spent enough time testing this).

Like DemonDan pointed out earlier, the Spring King can be modded, and different pans hooked up and it looks like that digital delay can be adjusted or possibly turned off. I'm not looking to do any solder work but for others who don't mind, I'm one could have fun modding this pedal.

When I have more time I plan on a/b/c'ing the Spring King against the digital spring pedals I have. and I still have to dig into the Z-Verb. I'm kind of saving it for last to measure up against all the others.

Something strange happened when using the Radial EXTC with the Spring King, when it's send, receive and blend (wet/dry) knobs are all set to 12 o'clock, the audio level gets much lower and the effect becomes 100% wet. Inverting the phase (button) fixes this. If you don't invert the phase and turn the knob to 100% wet, the sound becomes 50/50 wet/dry. Move the knob to dry and the sound is dry. Maybe to someone who knows electronics this is normal or easily explainable, but it's above my knowledgebase.

Thanks again for all the help/info!
Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts on the Danelectro Spring King. While it's impressive to learn that the reverb performs well in its price range, I understand that the included digital echo/slap back delay might not cater to your specific requirements. It's interesting how using a Radial EXTC-SA1 Reamp box can solve issues when using it with a modular system. The fact that it can be modded to adjust or turn off the digital delay is also worth noting for those who are interested in doing so. It’s also good to know about the strange behavior of the Radial EXTC when used with the Spring King, which can be fixed by inverting the phase. Thanks again for sharing!
Work hard, stay focused, enjoy the journey!Wordle unlimited unblocked