Moog Model 10 Tuning and Warm Up Time

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
tahbuss

Re: Moog Model 10 Tuning and Warm Up Time

Post by tahbuss » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:11 am

Ah, I saw your IG posts, great stuff! I've actually commented on one your posts about which s-trigs you were using. I got Model 10 #65! Mine takes a few hours of warm up, I usually boot it up when I get the baby up in the morning, usually by noon when I sit down to do some work, it's ready to track by then. I wish I had that Kenton PRO 2000 though, sweet piece.

Before I bought mine, I obsessively watched the Sweetwater Daniel Fisher demo. He mentions in the beginning that the 901s are warmer sounding but at the cost of tuning instabilities. Since they make these units down to the exact spec using as many of the same parts as possible and putting them together using the original builds/ techniques, I would imagine that the oscillators are using components that won't holding tuning as tightly.
(At this point like most synths in my studio :lol: )

This seems to be the major difference between the Model 10 and 15's oscillators, both original and reissues.

In other words, perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. Just a necessary evil to achieve that butter tone.

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:36 pm

ummagumma wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:38 pm curious if anyone has improved the range switch circuits on the 901a's, to make them more accurate?
The 'fixed control voltage' on the 901a is done with resistors whereas the 'frequency range' on the 901b is done with capacitors.

The 901a should have quite accurate switching really... much better than the 901b which can be rather hit and miss selecting values..!

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 pm

ah that is good to know! I was responding to AlakaLaslow's post where he said they threw off the scaling? maybe that's not the cause then

OP did you make any progress on your model 10 tuning/warmup?

PaulLawler

Post by PaulLawler » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:10 am

Sorry I didn't get any notifications of all the new posts.

I am managing a lot better with the warm up problem using the Kenton scaling. I'm relieved to hear about your Model 10 also taking this amount to warm up Tahbuss ,
Once mine is warm the scaling stays, the overall tuning drifts a little, but then it does on my Voyager XL too.

It's weird Moog never replied though, I sent a couple of tech support emails and tried the chat a few times but nobody is ever there.

PaulLawler

Post by PaulLawler » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:12 am

ummagumma wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 pm ah that is good to know! I was responding to AlakaLaslow's post where he said they threw off the scaling? maybe that's not the cause then

OP did you make any progress on your model 10 tuning/warmup?
My 901A throws off the scaling, I have to keep it in one position and alter the octaves on the oscillators.

PaulLawler

Post by PaulLawler » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:13 am

AlakaLazlo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:43 pm I was thinking about this earlier today. It is very possible that some of your tuning issues are due to temperature fluctuations.

In 79, I was crazy enough to use the IIP on stage at the Troubadour in LA. Every time a spotlight was on me, it also hit the Moog and the tuning when to s*&t. Last time I used it live...

I have the backs off both my vintage P Cabinets. (Never actually had them...) They are about 6 inches from a wall, but that wall has been covered in acoustic foam (which is a great insulator). With the backs off, there is no heat buildup. Once the room heats up in the morning, the temp is pretty stable throughout the day. My system stabilizes pretty well in about an hour and stays that way until I shut it off.
Yeah I think I should try taking off the back , hoping not to damage the lovely tolex in the process though.

PaulLawler

Post by PaulLawler » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:15 am

Rarecomponentadsr wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:26 pm I made natty little thermal jackets out of thick packing foam for the relevant transistors in the 901a/b ‘s
Seems to help and worth it for the sound of the 901b’s.
Takes an hour and costs nothing.
Have you got any photos of them, and where you put them etc ?