Moog Modular with MIDI

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
OCI

Moog Modular with MIDI

Post by OCI » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:59 am

Are any of you interfacing your 15/35/55/IIIC with MIDI? How are you doing it? I bought a couple V-Trig to S-Trig DOTCOM cables to use withe my Model 15 and was thinking about getting a Kenton Midi to CV converter. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks!

Rarecomponentadsr

Re: Moog Modular with MIDI

Post by Rarecomponentadsr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:31 am

I think there are two types of Kentons...one is basic with gate and cv plus an extra cv output that can be assigned say to velocity..the other Kenton has a few more cv outputs...My Kenton has always been faultless.

But I use an Oakley midi dac. You get these in kit form which are complex or bought made up and are Modular . They are excellent and more versatile than the Kenton ..they have many outputs. But check the gate output..I think I had to add a voltage to S trig unit ( a 2-3 component assembly)

OCI

Post by OCI » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Yah that makes sense. I was trying to avoid putting together a small euro or 5U case for Midi - CV but it looks like all the best options (other than the Kenton) are in that format. So I'm sure that's the direction I'll end up going.

Thanks so much for the info!

thedangore

Post by thedangore » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm

I just ended up buying a Subsequent 37cv in order to control parameters on my model 15 and iiic via usb-midi so it can line up with my DAW clock. I'd rather put the money towards another synth with controlling capabilities than a midi-cv box... just my two cents, however. I am no expert, it just works with my workflow!

7thDanSound

Post by 7thDanSound » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi everyone, hijacking this thread instead of starting a new, hope that's ok.

So I just took delivery of a Model 15 and loving it! I am having trouble running it via MIDI though. I'm using a Kenton Pro Soli MkII and using the S-trig setting for the output. This works fine if I use only one envelope. However, if I use the y-cable and both envelope modules I get full sustain all the time regardless of the knob setting. What am I doing wrong?

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:36 pm

Wonder if there is not a fault with your Y cable? If wired incorrectly a short to ground could occur, causing infinite sustain. Would look there first and check for proper wiring.
Use the same Kenton here with my IP. Fires all three envelopes fine and use both the S-trig and positive gate settings with a converter cable. There are different options on the gate settings, might try those if the Y checks out good.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

7thDanSound

Post by 7thDanSound » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:55 am

Thanks for your quick reply! I've tried all different gate and s-trig settings of the Kenton. I also tried a Roland MPU-101 with the gate to s-trig cable. Same results.

Just a clarification, it's not infinite sustain, the note shuts off just fine, it's just that the sustain knob doesn't do anything, it just stays full on. So the decay has no effect.

I've measured the y-cable and it checks out fine. I also tried another way of splitting the signal but to no avail.

At this point I'm suspecting the gate to s-trig cable. It works for triggering the envelopes but it leaves the CV slightly flat when I release the key.

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:28 pm

7thDanSound wrote:Thanks for your quick reply! I've tried all different gate and s-trig settings of the Kenton. I also tried a Roland MPU-101 with the gate to s-trig cable. Same results.

Just a clarification, it's not infinite sustain, the note shuts off just fine, it's just that the sustain knob doesn't do anything, it just stays full on. So the decay has no effect.

I've measured the y-cable and it checks out fine. I also tried another way of splitting the signal but to no avail.

At this point I'm suspecting the gate to s-trig cable. It works for triggering the envelopes but it leaves the CV slightly flat when I release the key.
Sounds like you need the 'trigger buffer' circuit in-line.
I had this same problem manifest itself when I was restoring my R.A.Moog modular. Three EG's and then my added Minimoog was just too much for the trigger out of my keyboard, so I built some buffer circuits. Problem solved...!

7thDanSound

Post by 7thDanSound » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:01 am

I managed to track it down to flaky cables, now it works! Thanks for all support!

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:19 am

noddyspuncture wrote:Sounds like you need the 'trigger buffer' circuit in-line.
I had this same problem manifest itself when I was restoring my R.A.Moog modular. Three EG's and then my added Minimoog was just too much for the trigger out of my keyboard, so I built some buffer circuits. Problem solved...!
I had the same problem cloning the 950. I think the problem is that the Moog Modular keyboard "gate out" is in fact a "gate in" physically spoken, as the gate circuit is a current sink, and the voltage outputs of all the gate "inputs" of EGs / modules with gate response have to pass the gate transistor of the keyboard circuit which provides the current sink. Compared to the gate "voltage" out of other modular systems / synthesizers it is an inverted principle, and I consider this as a disadvantage.

rzzzzz

Post by rzzzzz » Wed May 02, 2018 11:42 am

while i was waiting on the availability of the moog keyboard a couple of years' ago, a clever tech here in Asheville wired together a plug that let me play my 15 with an Akai Max 49. one of these days i got to sit down and try to remember the specific connections, so i can take advantage of the 49s' sequencer.

charlysi08

Post by charlysi08 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:30 am

Hello Dan

I have the same problem. Have you managed to sort it out?

Thank you

Scot Solida

Re: Moog Modular with MIDI (and 953)

Post by Scot Solida » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:33 am

I am having the same ‘sustain’ issue, but with my brand new 953 and Model 10. This is just one of the many issues I am having with the 953... at least I hope it’s only the 953 and not the CP panel. I can’t use channel 1 of the 953 monophonically at all, but I can use channel 2 monophonically. However, I can only get the expected results with a single envelope generator in play. If I patch up the second EG, the envelope’s Sustain is always cranked full when a note is held.

If I patch it up duophonically with both EGs (one triggered from channel 1 the other rom channel 2) controlling the VCA, the sustain works as it should. Frustrating.

EDIT: Using a kludged-together Y-cable cable, I confirmed that it both envelopes will sustain properly when controlled by my Synthesizers.com keyboard. So it isn't the envelope generators giving me trouble. Given that the 953 is misbehaving in so many other ways, I am going to guess that it is the culprit in this case too, though I guess it might be the Controller section of the CP-11 at fault. I certainly hope not, as the 953 is probably going to wind up going back to Moog for a swap or repair. :cry:

901tastic

Post by 901tastic » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:58 pm

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the CP11 in my Model 10 reissue or whether it's faulty cables or a patching error on my part?

I'm using my MIDI keyboard to control the Model 10 in the following way: MIDI keyboard -> Kenton Pro-2000 -> Moog Model 10. It is connected as follows:
Kenton [CV OUT] -> 901-A [Control Input]
Kenton [GATE OUT] -> CP11 Controller Outputs [Control Voltage]

Is this the correct cable connection to play the Moog Model 10 from my MIDI keyboard? If so, then something is wrong somewhere with my set up.

I realise there are different settings on the Kenton for GATE but I've tried them all. No difference.

The only way I can get my MIDI keyboard to play notes from the Model 10 is to connect as follows:
Kenton [CV OUT] -> 901-A [Control Input]
Kenton [GATE OUT] -> 902 [Control Input]

The problem with setting it up this way though is the 911 EGs don't work.

So, any Model 10 or Model 15 reissue users out there that have successfully connected their MIDI keyboards via a Kenton MIDI/CV converter? If so, how did you connect from the Kenton to the Model 10/15 and what settings did you use?

901tastic

Post by 901tastic » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:30 am

Problem solved! (or will be once I receive my Synthesizers.com active V-trig to S-trig cables)

These were the missing link.