My Moog 15 order question

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
elsapo2001

My Moog 15 order question

Post by elsapo2001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Just curious when you order a Moog model 15 is it made to order or are they just build them as they can and then ship them out to dealers? I put in an order a few days ago from a dealer but was told they are getting them in August.

I just want to make sure I do get one and not end up getting a call in August telling me they are not able to get any.

I was unable to find the PDF instruction manual for the model 15 on moogmusic or is it only physical copy?

I wonder how many have actually sold already.

thedangore

Re: My Moog 15 order question

Post by thedangore » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 pm

Hey elsapo2001,

I think it all depends on who you ordered from and what they have in stock or not. I purchased mine from Sweetwater (#110), which they had in stock at the time of purchase. It was shipped in a matter of days. My understanding is that the manufacturer (Moog) has already completed making all of these and have been sold out to dealers. How long it takes from the dealer is up to them and what they have on hand. Sweetwater had about 3 in stock at that time. Where did you purchase from?
Congratulations btw, I don't think you'll regret the purchase or the wait! Easily one of the most fulfilling instrument purchases I've made! Sounds incredible!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:08 pm

I ordered mine on February 13th (2015) and it was shipped on September 10th. But mine was placed as a pre-order just after they showed them @ Winter NAMM, so they had not yet ramped up production.

Note that mine was shipped directly from the factory in Asheville, NC. Once they caught up on orders, they may have been placing stock of the somewhat lower cost items (keyboard, Model 15) at larger retailers such as Sweetwater. I think the larger systems are truly made to order, however.

Me, I placed mine with a small outfit in Georgia (Humbucker Music). I bought my Mesa Bass amps from them as well and they did right by me. Support local and small businesses when you can!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

elsapo2001

Post by elsapo2001 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Actually they are being built to order. I confirmed with Moog, all the parts for my model 15 are allocated and it is going to be built to order. Obviously these units are built by hand and require time for assembly testing etc.. I should see my unit sometimes in October. I have no idea how many exist, I do suspect at least 90 were built so far since I have seen a mid 80s serial number unit for sale at one point. And once the last one is built I guess its pretty much it for the Modular lines.

It is a niche product so it would not be surprising if you do not Moog making modulars after this line of reissues and the company sticking with the more popular product lines.