System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
Skotchi

Re: Model 15 and 953 triggering

Post by Skotchi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Great news!

Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:33 am

Digging up this old thread, as I have just taken delivery of a Model 10 and a 953 today. Much to my annoyance, I think my 953 is faulty. The triggers only fire from the channel 2 outputs and if I have both envelopes connected, the sustain is always behaves as if the knob fully up (in other words, the envelopes act like an A/R with the sustain always up while a key is held down). If only one envelope is connected, the sustain acts as it should.

I only have a single old Voltage-to-S-trigger from Synthesizers.com (I’ve ordered another) so I can’t test this sustain behavior with any other controllers for now.

It would seem that others here have had to swap out their 953s for replacements, It’s kind of a drag that they are still going out with issues years later.

(yes, I held D3 when powering on. I have tried this repeatedly with no change)

Has anyone else experienced this sustain issue? Am I not understanding something basic or did I just get a lemon 953?

Urs0polar

Post by Urs0polar » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:17 am

Congrats! I have a Model 10 and a 953 also.

I’m confused about what you are doing. To connect the 953 to the 10, you don’t need the synthesizers.com voltage-to-s-trigger cable.

When you connect the 953 to the back of the 10 with the long gray cable that comes with the 953 and turn it on holding D3 for 2 seconds, the triggers are available via the cinch-jones connections on the Controller Outputs module on the bottom. If you bought the Model 10 new, it should have come with 2 cinch-jones to cinch-jones cables (male to female). They are skinnier than the other patch cords. To trigger the envelopes, you connect those from the controller outputs on either row 1 or 2 to the envelopes.

Are you connecting the synthesizers.com voltage trigger to s trigger cable from the 1/4” jack on the Controller Outputs module to the cinch-jones on the envelope? If so, that’s why its not doing what you expect; all of those 1/4” jacks in rows 1 and 2 are sending pitch voltage, not trigger. The only way to get s trigger out of the 953 with the Model 10 is to plug a cinch jones plug into the cinch-jones connectors on the Controller Outputs module.

Synthesizers.com also sells cinch-jones to cinch-jones cables (i.e. the ones you want for this), so pick some up there if you don’t already have them.

If I’m wrong and you ARE using the cinch-jones to cinch-jones cables that came with the model 10, it is worth it to re-seat the cable that connects the 953 to the back of the model 10. Just make sure the pins are all the way in and you’ve tightened the connector well. You don’t have to crank it or anything; just make sure its all the way in when you are done.

Finally, if the above didn’t help you, or you still have issues, call Moog on Monday and tell them about your issue. Its a great company and they are extremely helpful.

(Where the synthesizers.com v-trig to s-trig cable comes into play is if you are wanting to play the Model 10 via a synth that sends voltage triggers, like say a Grandmother)

Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:19 am

Thanks for the response, and thanks for the help (despite my confusing post). I will try re-seating the cable between 953 and Model 10 this morning. It would be lovely if that did the trick.

Regarding the 953, I am not using the Synthesizers.com cables, just connecting it up as instructed in the "manual" with the included DIN/barrel connector cable and patching with the included cinch-jones cables for the envelopes and 1/4" cables for the oscillator CV (the pitch is acting as it should).

I mentioned the Synthesizers.com voltage-to-s-trigger cables merely because I can use those to test the Model 10 with my Synthesizers.com keyboard to make sure the trouble lies in the 953 rather than the Model 10 (I suspect it's the 953).

Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 am

Alas, reseating the cable didn't help. I have tried repeatedly to 're-calibrate' the keyboard (holding down D3 when powering up) and have gotten different - though no less faulty - results. Now Control channel 1 is partially working monophonically, while control channel 2 only works duophonically. The sustain issue persists, regardless. :(

Urs0polar

Post by Urs0polar » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:53 pm

Yeah if your other keyboard is working properly with the Model 10 and you reseated the 953, it’s probably the 953.

Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 pm

Using a kludged-together Y-cable, I have discovered that the sustain issue goes away when using the Synthesizers.com keyboard. So the sustain issue is clearly coming from either the 953 or CP-11 and, given the number of other issues that the 953 has, I would guess that it is the culprit here, too. I'll call Moog on Monday, but I bet my brand new 953 is going to wind up being shipped in for repair or exchange.

Until then, I'll use the Syntehsizers.com keyboard to play my new synth. It sounds just lovely!