Replicating Sonic Six modulation section on two model 15

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
chekmate99

Replicating Sonic Six modulation section on two model 15

Post by chekmate99 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi all,

Is it possible to replicate the Sonic Six modulation section using a pair of Model 15 modulars?

I've tried it using Arp 2600 but can't get it exactly as it's problematic having one LFO control both the X and Y LFO's (as labeled on the Sonic Six) together while the X and Y are being mixed.

I'm thinking of using both mixer sections on each Model 15, one to mix two LFO's together and the other to take the output of the first mix and mix it with another LFO (this one controls the rate of the mixed LFOs) - not sure if it's that straight forward; also not sure if there is some hard-wired logic in the Sonic Six that doesn't make this even possible with a modular (which I doubt).

Anyway, if anyone has tried this or has an idea or knows how to do it (it probably can be done using the CP-251 or a pair of them as well) please pass along any advice.

Thanks,

chekmate99

noddyspuncture

Re: Replicating Sonic Six modulation section on two model 15

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:30 pm

chekmate99 wrote:Hi all,

Is it possible to replicate the Sonic Six modulation section using a pair of Model 15 modulars?

I've tried it using Arp 2600 but can't get it exactly as it's problematic having one LFO control both the X and Y LFO's (as labeled on the Sonic Six) together while the X and Y are being mixed.

I'm thinking of using both mixer sections on each Model 15, one to mix two LFO's together and the other to take the output of the first mix and mix it with another LFO (this one controls the rate of the mixed LFOs) - not sure if it's that straight forward; also not sure if there is some hard-wired logic in the Sonic Six that doesn't make this even possible with a modular (which I doubt).

Anyway, if anyone has tried this or has an idea or knows how to do it (it probably can be done using the CP-251 or a pair of them as well) please pass along any advice.

Thanks,

chekmate99
Checking out the schematic and seeing how the two LFO's are "interwired" might prove useful...?

Cheers,
Tom

chekmate99

Post by chekmate99 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Got it - thanks.

chekmate99

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:03 am

I really love the Sonic 6 XY generator. It creates an incredible variety of modulations, some almost sequencer like.
I''m surprised that this configuration wasn't utilized in more synths.

Your plan seems like a good place to start. There are some things that will be a bit clunkier...the balance knob is an interesting way to combine the two waveforms, and having separate knobs on the mixer will be less intuitive, but will work.

The Sonic 6 master slider is not an additional LFO, but just a voltage slider that applies a variable voltage to both VCLFOs in conjunction with each individual LFO rate slider (it provides the master voltage that is then scaled by the individual rate controls).

You could use a quad attenuator for this...fixed voltage into the top, take the top out into a multiple and an out to each of the next two inputs. These two outputs each control an LFO, the top attenuator control is the master rate. Substitute an EG into the top input, and you can use the envelope to vary the rate. You could use a sequential switch to select different sources to be the Master...keyboard CV is nice as a master source as well. :mrgreen:

Good luck, and have fun!
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

chekmate99

Post by chekmate99 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:01 pm

thanks for the reply synthguy - I'll like your idea of using a controlled voltage/attenuator to act as the sonic6 master slider (for some reason I was thinking of using a square lfo for this) - I'll first use the 995 Attenuator to act like the sonic6 slider and give it a go. then experiment some more with the attenuators on the CP-251 before even attempting to send a EG as the source.

For me anyway, this would be a great exercise on understanding how to 'program' LFO's together. If I can figure out how to replicate the Sonic Six, this would be a good exercise for my daughter as well who is starting to show an interest in synthesizers. having the sonic six and a modular solution side by side to compare results would be really cool.

I agree, the Sonic Six's modulation is awesome - below are some recordings we made this past weekend using the Sonic Six modulation to manipulate the filter and triggering the gate - the first is a simple drone, using moogfooger phaser and delay pedals; and the second is a simple sequence (borrowed from Rush) programmed using the doepfer dark time sequencer (had to use the modulation section for gate).

Thanks again for the input; will give it a go next weekend using the modular.

https://soundcloud.com/chekmate-99/moogsonicsix08mp3
https://soundcloud.com/chekmate-99/moogsonicsix13mp3