Moog 701 drum synthesizer - success..!

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
noddyspuncture

Moog 701 drum synthesizer - success..!

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:43 am

Hi folks,

When I first powered these modules up one kept blowing fuses. It was wired incorrectly, with +12v connected directly to ground..!

So - after a few years of just looking at these Moog 701 drum synthesizer modules... and only ever making a couple of videos of them 'singing away' uncontrollably - but at least I knew that they made *some* noise... I have finally sat down and looked at them in depth.

First I had to build them their own dedicated power supply as the only other one I have is in the Modular. I have drawn out the circuit layout, and from those, the circuit diagrams. I've analysed the workings so to speak and got my head around them. Originally in my previous videos the filter and the envelope generators for both the filter & VCA weren't doing anything.

Bearing in mind the earlier incorrect wiring I found, I investigated and found two more things... the first was a faulty transistor and once I had the EG's doing their thing on my oscilloscope I found that the VCA was still not being controlled. The filter was now being opened and closed - but the module was still sitting there, merrily singing away. The problem, I hate to say, turned out to be what I reckon is a design fault...! The VCA on these things just doesn't shut off.

I trawled the internet for transistor based VCA circuits and found a lot... all basically designed differently to the ones in these modules. So I built my own transistor based VCA going off the designs I found - and now it all works...!

I've played around with the unit and it does some interesting things using just it's own internal oscillators. There are rear connector inputs for white, pink & red noise. I've yet to hook it up to some noise generators - which is where it should really come into it's own... :D

Cheers,
Tom

noddyspuncture

Re: Moog 701 drum synthesizer - success..!

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:30 pm

By the way, here's the first video I made of it tonight... still have to patch in some 'noise'... but for now... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiUyAymi7s

Cheers,
Tom

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:52 am

Jesus, Tom, that is incredibly powerful! Where are you going to mount it? Sequence them? That sound is just insane!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:24 am

Hey Eric,

I was just thinking about sequencing them with my Q960. Should be possible... there's only the "trigger" to sort of course but in drawing out all the electronics before working on them, I do note that there seems to be an external input into the filter section from the rear connector which goes to the same point as the EG and the filter control... so I reckon that's a CV in and I should be able to articulate them nicely...!?

Also hooking them up to my 1130 drum controller might be cool... :D

I have yet to try them with "noise" - which I think is the whole point of the exercise - there are after all settings on the Modulation inputs for white, pink and red noise (along with "external" so I could stick anything in there) so it would seem a big part of it.. :lol:

Cheers,
Tom

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:27 pm

...and another video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb5jgiMyaJ8

Cheers,
Tom