960 SEQUENCER SYNC?

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
RAINBOW_MOOG

960 SEQUENCER SYNC?

Post by RAINBOW_MOOG » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:34 pm

How would you go about syncing the 960 sequencer to something like a TR-909 with DIN or MIDI? (START / STOP / SYNC / RE-SET)

Are the modules compatible with the .DOT COM stuff? (like the Q174?) Can you cross patch without issue?

JohnLRice

Re: 960 SEQUENCER SYNC?

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:55 am

Take a look at the Moon Modular 553 MIDI to Clock module.
http://www.lunar-experience.com/DOWN/553.pdf

I'm not sure what you are asking in the second part of your question. Are you asking if the Moog 960 is compatible with a Synthesizers.com system or ??? Moog modules typically need a different power supply than Synthesizers.com but since the Synthesizers.com power supply runs at a higher voltage it is fairly easy to adapt with a simpel custom circuit. I've heard that the new reissue Moog modulars have multiple voltages available so if you get a new one it should be relatively easy to put a Moon or Synthesizers.com module in your new Moog cabinet with a little custom wiring?

Original Moog modules tend to have lower audio outputs and expect lower audio inputs than modern modulars. This can be handled by using attenuators and amplifiers between the old and new modules.

If you have an original Moog modular Moon Modular states on their site:
[our modules] can be adapted to Moog standard (-6/+12 Volts) or to -12/+12 Volts as custom order - please ask us.
Two power connectors (synthesizers.com/Club of the Knobs) are on-board as standard, adapters for other systems are available upon request.)
Threshold voltage of the trigger inputs is +1 volt. Control voltage range is usually 10 volts.
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 am

You should be able to send a trigger out from your 909 and shift the Q960 with that (even better than just a clock since it is programmable to create negative space between notes).

Any Q960 clone or actual should work with the Dotcom modules, but if you are referring to original Moog modular, you wouldn't want them powered the same. They run off of different voltage standards.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

RAINBOW_MOOG

Post by RAINBOW_MOOG » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:37 am

Thank you friends! This is the kind of information I am looking for. I just want to make sure I will not harm a 960 Sequential Controller (if I end up getting one) by sending a TRIGGER from and old classic Roland 808 or 909 into the moog.

The reason why I ask about the .COM stuff and was also interested in the STG time suite (then I can clock off DIN) not so much to use the same POWER SUPPLY - but was wondering if they use "compatible" voltage standards so I would be able to "cross patch".

Basically I am looking for options on how people keep the 960 Sequential Controller "in time" with other things in your studio...

RAINBOW_MOOG

Post by RAINBOW_MOOG » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:05 pm

... and the tr808 trigger out is 15v 20ms ....can I plug this str8 into the new moog 960's?

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:35 am

I don't forsee any problem with 15v, the Q960 probably takes 10v or more to shift.

I am glad to hear you are considering the STG time sequencer modules! I have (5) of his trigger sequencers, (2) shift managers, Divider and a custom Time Buffer (I just bought the PCB and made my own panel). If you need help getting that going let me know. The voltage input can handle at least 10vPP as that is what comes out of an Oscillator, I might be able to check this for you at some point or I could ask STG himself in Chicago next weekend.

Worst case scenario, you would need to attenuate the signal before running it into the sequencer.

I run Silent Way (v2) DIN Sync plugin out through my MOTU's headphone jack and then into a Bitchin's Sync (takes 1/4" cable clock and start/stop inputs and creates a DIN Sync jack). The Bitchin' Sync also splits the clock to use with multiple drum machines. That runs almost all of my hardware in perfect sync with Ableton Live for recording.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.