ummagumma

Re: Individual Modules

Post by ummagumma » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:22 pm

:twisted:

Bernie's Inferno!

Analogue

Post by Analogue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:02 pm

The Synth-Werk modules from my own survey of what's on the web seem to have captured the best clone versions of the Moog modules.

Waiting for Moog to make the module-leap is anyones personal preference, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it happens ... yay. I could have easily imagined a few years back, a run of surface-mount /modernized, perhaps even Euro modules from Moog in tribute to the originals, but I doubt it in the current day. The photo-etched panels and hand labour of the original builds in present day could be a deal-breaker for general production. There are ways around these but it's been quite a long while since heard any noises about this. Not to mention current competing euro modules that furnish the same functions. No insider knowledge but just standing back and watching the dust settle.

Meanwhile real and tangible "cloned" modules are available. The Synth-Werk modules have sensibly done away with the S-Trigger interfacing from the 911, 911A and recently released a Bode Frequency Shifter to complete the lineup. I have a 911A and the build quality is top notch. As long as buying from overseas is not an obstacle hands down this is where to go. The only thing missing for the deeply addicted are the rare 901C 901D.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:07 pm

Moog could produce anything they want at any price point they desire. Gene Stopp remarked that there is no limit to what they could produce [with regard to 5u module offerings] given their supplies. I've been waiting since 2009, others have waited far longer than that.
We'll see what happens when the Model 10 is no longer available.

As for who makes the best clones, I lean toward Moslab and I have a couple of Synth-Werk modules as well. Gerhard did carry forth Moog's s-trig requirement though, which is something that I wish Moog would have abandoned in their lines.

Nevertheless the 10 is a fantastic sounding instrument.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ProspectHillMusic

Post by ProspectHillMusic » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:24 pm

I would like to obtain a few Moog modules to complete a vintage System 35 that I own which is missing a few. It looks like Synth-Werk and COTK are pretty much the only sources for module clones currently, and MOS-LAB has stopped making Moog modules. Are there any others out there?

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:13 am

Synthesizers.com? I obtained Moog style knobs from them for my own Moog module clones, but they offer modules and complete systems as well.

Which modules do you need?

dombedos

Post by dombedos » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:31 pm

Hi ProspectHillMusic,
in recent years, I have built a clone of the System 55; I never presented it publicly, as I made it just for my own fun.
The modules I made are pretty accurate Moog clones, both aesthetically and functionally. I have some modules that I don’t use, or I want to replace with others, so feel free to contact me for details if you are interested.

In actual fact, lately I was pondering on the opportunity to offer to make panels or even build modules for others, in order to recover costs and raise funds for extending my system. In the next future, I will post a presentation of my system.

Greetings to you all
Leonardo

ProspectHillMusic

Post by ProspectHillMusic » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:38 pm

I am missing the following:
Two CP3A panels
907A
Two 902s
921A
I also don't have a full complement of oscillators but I'm leaning towards making my own but havent ruled out just buying them.

Although there are at least two companies that are making Moog module clones they are not exactly identical to the originals because the original modules ran on +12V & -6V and got their power through a PCB edge connector. My System 35 is wired with 22 pin edge connectors for powering the modules and I'd like to use the existing wiring instead of adding more wiring or power connector adapters. That's not a deal breaker but I'd like to find out if there is anything available out there that's more like the originals.

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:00 am

AFAIK no other company beside Moog uses 22 pin edge connectors. These Moog internal cables carry a kind of "analog data bus" for internal module interconnection. This saves external patch junctions, but is not really necessary. It just makes the internal wiring of a Moog Modular unnecessarily complicated. For powering you need just 3 pins.

If you use the internal wiring as default patch and rely on it you need indeed the Moog edge connector interface. But then you need original Moog modules as well, as I bet that clone manufacturers don't have internal interfaces for that internal wiring on their modules. So you lose the advantages of any internal wiring anyway.
The only situation where I really needed internal module wiring during my System 55 clone activities was cloning the 904ABC module combination, as there are no external patch connectors to link 904A and B to C. But that was the only situation.

If DIY is an option for you, you can create small interface boards as link between the clone module and the edge connector. A small board with the male contact layers for the edge connector on one side and some simple one-wire pins on the other side in module direction according to your needs. Perhaps you need an additional power supply, dependent on the power needs of the clone modules.