2019 Moog model 10 owners, how do you feel about the Model 10 2022 upgrades?

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
tahbuss

2019 Moog model 10 owners, how do you feel about the Model 10 2022 upgrades?

Post by tahbuss » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:35 am

So, Moog is re reissuing the Moog model 10. I purchased the 2019 version, and other than one of the knobs becoming a little loose, I love it. The tuning warm up can be a little bit of a pain, but it's all good.

Moog just announced that they are re releasing the Model 10 with some upgrades.

"Updates In The 2022 Model 10 Build:

An updated onboard power supply now supports a broader range of voltages, including 100v, 120v, 220v, and 240v. For users outside the US, this allows you to power your synthesizer without the need for an external step up/down transformer.
The system’s redesigned rear panel accommodates an updated main power switch, power lamp, power inlet, grounding lug, and voltage selector switch.
Model 10 now has improved calibration and tuning reliability, with this current production model holding tighter calibrations with little variance."

How do you feel about this?

Personally, while I'm not pleased that the 2019 was stated as being limited run, and it wasn't, I can get over that. I bought it for the sound.

I personally am not happy that there is now a Version 1 and Version 2, and that the version 2 is a better version. It's a little bit of slap in the face. I can understand them doing this for their other synths, or even putting out the Model 12 with these upgrades, but this just feels like, why did I drop all this money for them to slap me in the face like that?

Maybe I'm just overreacting, I have made some great stuff on this unit. But I'm not really happy about the upgraded tuning...

stiiiiiiive

Re: 2019 Moog model 10 owners, how do you feel about the Model 10 2022 upgrades?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:54 am

Hi!

Sorry to hear this is a hard pill to swallow for you.
I don't owe any Model 10, but here is my view, for what it's worth.

I wouldn't like Moog to stop enhancing their products or methods just because I purchased one of them at some point. If eveyone that purchased a Moog at some point thought this way, Moog would not be Moog, they would be jsut another disposable cr@p manufacturer and we have enough of that, I feel.
It would be a pity that they release a second run of some instrument without including their new knowledge/technical possibilities. And I'm quite sure calling it Model 12 would not change anything about such feelings, on top of being not so consistent with the instrument itself: a Model 10 is a Model 10, whatever PSU comes with it.

On a side note, I have the feeling that Moog works this way: a "small" synth issue to test the market and raise money in order to develop a bigger one. I'm thinking about the Sub Phatty / Sub 37s or about the GM / Matriarch.

Besides -and this is the main point for me- if you are happy with your instrument, why bothering with the latest one? Aah marketting... Does it change your need? Or does it make yours sound worse? Transpose this relationship to a lover and you may think it's nonsense ;) (clumsy comparison but I'm sure you get my point)
In your shoes, I would continue loving my dear, faithful, unchanged Model 10 whatever update comes next <3

TheDigitalMan

Re: 2019 Moog model 10 owners, how do you feel about the Model 10 2022 upgrades?

Post by TheDigitalMan » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:11 pm

I also have one (just got it a few months ago) and ya, I kind of know how you feel. I do love it and it's super fun. I'm getting good tracking across a few octaves (after warm up) so it's not a big deal and I was expecting a truly 'vintage' experience so I'm good with it. But ya, I hear you. Is a little annoying and was a lot of $.

Now we'll have;
Moog Model 10
Moog Model 10 *
Moog Model 10 **

Oh, and good advice from stiiiiiiive that I'll be taking. I do really enjoy working with this product. It is awesome :)
Last edited by TheDigitalMan on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:09 pm

Well, it was a reissue of the original, which didn't have any of that. I understand why you might feel that way though!

Maybe they'll post a service bulletin so the tuning stability can be tweaked? If it's all through-hole it shouldn't be hard to do.

johnstaf

Post by johnstaf » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:40 am

I'm sure we'll have people claiming the first reissue sounds better. :D

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:32 pm

I inquired about the changes with Moog the day that it was announced but haven't received a response.

I wondered if any of the revisions (mainly the tuning stability as the power supplies aren't the original designs) were items that appeared in subsequent service manuals, or if they were based on later generation 901AB revisions, or if they had any specific factory designations.

Who knows if this will be looked at as an "old osc" Model 10 like the early Model Ds are.

You should be able to tighten your pot caps and probably shouldn't feel like the upgrades left you behind. I believe the power supply revision was for the purpose of keeping abreast with European law.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

tahbuss

Post by tahbuss » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:00 am

I want to clarify that again, I don't mind so much that they are reissuing the reissue that was labeled as limited. In a sense it is (for 3 years), and the fact that it was billed as limited had zero impact on my decision to purchase the 2019 Model 10. But that's just it, in my last sentence, the fact that I have to clarify that I purchased the 2019 Reissue and not the 2022 version seems stupid. Moreover, it's disingenuous of Moog to market the unit as limited if they had no intention to follow through.

But again, that's really a non issue, just semantics.

I agree with the idea that 2019 is closer to the original Model 10 in the sense that the tuning is for sure unstable. It's got drift, which certainly gives it color and character. However, it has me questioning the reason they updated the tuning at all. Wasn't that the selling point?

And I also messaged Moog when they announced it, and no response (coming up on 10 days). Which is also disappointing considering how much I dropped on the unit.

I made reference to the Model 12 in my post because they've reissued the Model 15, the Model 10, so it seemed obvious to reissue the missing Model 12, which was a mix of both units.

I dunno, just feels odd to me, and frankly, I do believe they owe it to their customers who've dropped $10,000+ dollars to at least answer them. Not looking good on their part, and it's making me question purchasing any more Moog products ie; the Moog One.

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:47 pm

Just curious did you ever hear from Moog on this?

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:26 am

FYI - I reached out to Moog via the chat function and inquired about the possibility of improved tuning stability for anyone that purchased the original reissue and was told - after I indicated I was from Canada;

"The Model 10's tuning stability is largely related to improvements in the switching power supply in countries using 220-volt outlets, so you would not notice any difference with your Model 10."