Calibrating Werkstatt to Alturia Keystep

Everything Werkstatt.
RetlasD

Calibrating Werkstatt to Alturia Keystep

Post by RetlasD » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi,
I've managed to calibrate my Werkstatt-01 to an Alturia Keystep, however the pitch for middle C on the keyboard and above is really high.
They 0-Volts key on the Keystep is the lowest C key on the keyboard. You have to shift the octave down by it's maximum to find it (I think you hit the Oct- button 4 times). This is the only key that doesn't change pitch when you tweak the VR5 knob.
So I have then tuned the pitch to C2 using the VCO knob and then calibrated a couple of octaves up to C4 using the VR5 as per the Moog instructions to get the octaves and notes nicely in tune.
The problem is - as I then move up the keys as we head back to the 'middle' of the keyboard using the Oct+ button then the notes are getting really high pitch to the point they become inaudible in the upper half of the keyboard.
In the Arturia Midi Control Centre I can see I can adjust the note for the 0-Volt key. It's currently set to C2 as the factory default. I tried setting this to C0 but then had trouble getting other notes calibrated off this as the VR5 knob reached its max adjustment before tuning them i think. Plus I got some strange noises coming out when I put it back together. Maybe I got something wrong here?
Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen a video with a guy - Justin Fox - on you tube - who has a keystep attached to a werkstatt and is playing normal pitched sounds in the middle of the keyboard.
Any help would be great.

RetlasD

Re: Calibrating Werkstatt to Alturia Keystep

Post by RetlasD » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:52 pm

Solved!
With thanks to Justin Fox on youtube I've solved it:
My method was:
Set the keystep 0V key to E1 in the midi control centre.
Then used the VCO to tune the middle C of the keystep to C2.
Calibrated the high C (last key on the keyboard) C4 with the VR5.
Tweaked between the VCO for the C2 and the VR5 on the C4 until they were close enough and checked the notes between all sounded good / were close on the tuner.
Job done.
Obviously playing with the frequency after this sends it all over the place, but it can now be tuned back to C by playing a C on the keyboard and using a tuner and the freq to bring it back.
Thanks to other guides and messages I've read too.