Using Keystep with Werkstatt while Sustain off?

Everything Werkstatt.
ezrakh

Using Keystep with Werkstatt while Sustain off?

Post by ezrakh » Mon May 15, 2017 1:44 am

Hey all!

Got my Werkstatt w CV expander being controlled by Keystep and its working great mostly but I am wondering a few things.

First, Is there a reason why the envelope isn't opening when the sustain is off? Is this supposed to be that way or is there a workaround

Second, wondering if anyone has had success generating percussion sequences?

My general routing is

KS PITCH > WS VCO EXPFM IN
KS GATE > WS GATE
WS VCO OUT > WS VCF AUD IN (because Ex Audio mod)

Hypothetically for percussion, I have stackables to join the WS EG OUT into the VCO EXP FM IN but still no success considering it doesn't play with the Sustain disengaged

Any help is appreciated! :mrgreen:

dcullina

Re: Using Keystep with Werkstatt while Sustain off?

Post by dcullina » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:19 pm

I have mine hooked up the same way. If you set the Keystep gate voltage to 12 volts (using MIDI control center), the envelope works fine with sustain on or off. That said, does anyone know if 12 volts going into the gate out jack will damage the Werkstatt? I have no idea.

snowmonkey

Post by snowmonkey » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:21 am

I bought a Keystep to control my Werkstatt. And it has generally been working well. To begin with I used it on the 0-12 V CV gate setting until I realised it should be 0-5 V. Nothing seemed to fry during this early experimentation however...

But then the other day I also noticed that I couldn't get the envelope to trigger when sustain is off. I emailed Moog about this, and they replied to say;

You can use the Werkstatt's Gate Out as a gate input. The trick is to send it a voltage that is slightly higher than +5 volts. I don't recommend sending any voltages higher than around +8 volts as this can start to cause damage to occur. +12 volts would certainly be too high for the Werkstatt to tolerate.

So now I am a bit stuck. I thought the Keystep would be a perfect way to control my Moog. I am not very technically minded so don't want to get into the world of soldering things (i.e. breaking my Werstatt). So would be interested to know if there is a solution for this. For example, is there something I can put between the Keystep and the Werkstatt that would limit the voltage to 6 or 7?

Thanks in advance...

Skotchi

Post by Skotchi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:03 am

snowmonkey wrote:For example, is there something I can put between the Keystep and the Werkstatt that would limit the voltage to 6 or 7?

Thanks in advance...
I have a similar dilemma. One possible solution I’ve identified is an attenuator cable from Koma:

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=ko ... ator-cable

You adjust the attenuation by moving a slider in the middle of the cable; however, in order to know precisely how many volts you’re transmitting, you have to test with a multimeter.

Stefan