0 vdc signal (seriously noob questions)

Everything Werkstatt.
hecksome

0 vdc signal (seriously noob questions)

Post by hecksome » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:42 pm

Hello,
I'm a beginner to modular stuff, and recently got the CV expander for the werkstatt. I'm checking the manual for how to calibrate it, and it says "Send a 0 VDC signal to the VCO EXP FM IN jack" I'm sure this is the most basic question of all time, but how do I do this? A google search informed me that 0 VDC means zero volts of direct current, right? But, uh, now what? Does this mean plug a patch cable into the VCO EXP FM IN jack that's not connected to anything else?

Thanks!

hecksome

Re: 0 vdc signal (seriously noob questions)

Post by hecksome » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Follow up question, I have a Korg SQ-1, which will be the main thing I use to interact with the werkstatt. It's not clear to me if it's possible to send a 0 VDC signal from the SQ-1... So, um... is that possible, or even necessary, if I'm not going to connect it to other modules and whatnot?

hecksome

Post by hecksome » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:12 pm

Ok, so here's the method I accidentally stumbled on to:

Plug a signal from the mother 32 as my 1 volt per octave source. Tune the note from the mother with the "C" note from the werkstatt. Mute the mother 32. Calibrate the "B" from the werkstatt so it's in tune as well. Viola.

Any flaws in that technique I haven't discovered yet?

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:22 am

Calibrating the Werkstatt is really easy. There are two factors to tuning a VCO: scale, and offset. The first is the gap between notes for a given voltage change, the second is where your notes are positioned along that scale. With the Werkstatt you've only really got one control to worry about and that's the scaling trimmer VR5 inside, which determines how far apart the notes will sound for any given change in CV input. You're aiming for 1V = 1 Octave.

The first thing to do is 'reset' the Werkstatt's own pitch by pressing the lowest note on its button keyboard (I've found it does not default to bottom C at power-on). Then send it a CV from an external device, and adjust the trimmer so playing two notes alternately an octave apart gives an octave response on the Werkstatt. It doesn't matter which two notes you use. You can fine tune this by alternating notes two or three octaves apart and adjusting so the scale is correct. As long as the notes you play and the notes you hear are the same distance apart, the absolute pitch is unimportant. You can then set overall pitch simply by using the Werksatt's front panel tuning knob. So after you've got the octave scaling right, you then play a known pitch on some other device, sending that CV to the Werkstatt, and adjust the Werkstatt's tuning knob so it's pitched where you want it to be.