Best entry level sequencer for Werkstatt ( school setting)

Everything Werkstatt.
Stickyone

Best entry level sequencer for Werkstatt ( school setting)

Post by Stickyone » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi ,

I'm currently buying a selection of devices so that the 5th and 6th graders in the school I work at can learn about sound and music through hands-on investigation and discovery. I have a small budget and in any case I want to buy things that the kids themselves could ask for as a Birthday present or whatever in case they get really into it. That, and I also want to offer them a variety of machines from different companies so they get a broader idea of what's available.

The list is a Theremini, a Werkstatt , a Teenage Engineering PO-12 , a Korg Volca ( deciding between Bass, Sample or Keys) and I want to get a sequencer....either a Korg SQ-1 or an Arturia Beatstep.

I am learning about all this at the same time so I would really appreciate it if you could ghelp me to understand my connection options. Can I connect all this lot up ( except the Theremini) and sequence them through one of the two sequencers on my list or is that wishful thinking? Which of the two sequencers would be my best bet?

Thank You!

SlowLFOtoPitch

Re: Best entry level sequencer for Werkstatt ( school settin

Post by SlowLFOtoPitch » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:52 am

SQ-1 is rock-solid and affordable. Arturia's controllers can be a bit buggy in my experience.
TAYLOR MOTT
SERVICE DEPARTMENT MANAGER
MOOG MUSIC INC.

P: (828) 251.0090 ext. (217)
Fax: (828) 254.6233

Stickyone

Post by Stickyone » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Good to know, thanks.

Would it be possible to sync up all the devices I mentioned with the SQ- 1 in some sort of chain or whatever so they sync together. ( and the Beatstep?)

Cheers

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Another vote for the SQ1.

Stickyone

Post by Stickyone » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:49 pm

Great. Thanks for that vote. So that's two so far for the SQ-1 ......and 'Rock Solid' is really important for a school setting.

Can anyone shed any light on how I would be able to connect a Werkstatt, Korg Volca, PO-12 and a SQ-1 in such a way that they will all sync? It is possible isn't it? Please excuse the beginners' questions but I really want to avoid any unfortunate surprises.

Thank you.

grenert

Post by grenert » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:32 am

The SQ1 doesn't drive the Werkstatt in an ideal way (the envelope is not triggered, so the sound is completely on or completely off).
The Volca Keys has a sequencer built in, although it is not a step sequencer like the SQ-1. The SQ-1 could drive a Volca via MIDI.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...