Temperature Compensation Questions

Everything Werkstatt.
davemoog

Temperature Compensation Questions

Post by davemoog » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:17 pm

I am wondering about using a Werkstatt as an expander to a Mothership32.

Although I don't know if a Mothership has a temperature compensated VCO I would imagine that it does. (1st question)

So the question is does the Wekstatt have a similar type VCO that would track and be stable over a temperature range (thinking about on stage)

Thanks
Dave

grenert

Re: Temperature Compensation Questions

Post by grenert » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:09 pm

I'm not sure how the Werkstatt oscillator works, but I've found it very stable.
Based on the similarities between the WS and Mother, I imagine they use the same basic oscillator.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

sbell.sd

Post by sbell.sd » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:15 pm

Mr. or Ms. grenert

Under what temperature range did you test the oscillator stability?
Over what frequency range did your test encompass?
What did you test the oscillator against; oscilloscope, frequency counter, another tested temperature stable oscillator?

If Moog has provided any specifications on oscillator stability and temperature ranges I would appreciate any information.
If any one has done any real testing I would like to hear about the results and test setup.

I'd like to have 10-20 oscillators but don't want to waste too much time tuning them often.

Really interested
sbell.sd

Struble

Post by Struble » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:29 pm

I can't speak for how it does with temperature, but before you consider it for stage please be reminded that it only has a course tune knob. So without fine control, if the temperature does effect its stability it will be a major pain to get it back in tune.
http://DepressedBoy.com

Equipment: Moog Werkstatt; Arturia Microbrute; Syntecno TeeBee; Elektron Sidstation; Korg Volca Keys, Electribe ER-1, Monotron; MidiNES; Teenage Engineering PO-12; Roland Boutique JP-08; BeatStep Pro; GameBoy

sbell.sd

Post by sbell.sd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:04 am

Struble:

Well stated. Even not on stage, if I had 10-20 it might be a major pain to keep them in tune.

I thank you.

davemoog

Post by davemoog » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:37 am

Some good points.. Would definitely need a fine tune control as a mod. From the photographs it seems like the VCO does have the temperature compensating resistor so probably stability would be fine..

grenert

Post by grenert » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:07 am

davemoog, my Werkstatt is in a room with pretty stable temperature, but I noticed that it stabilized pretty quickly (maybe just a few minutes?) and stayed there over time. However, it never had to deal with large room temperature fluctuations.
Frequency was evaluated by comparison to a quartz oscillator.

I completely agree that the tuning knob is way too small and wide-ranging to accurately set the pitch. I did two things: Added a larger knob over the shaft. Added a fine tune pot (internal) wired up as in the Werkstatt Workshop video.
http://www.werkstattworkshop.com/?q=projects/fine-tune
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Another thing to consider is stage lights. They can heat things up well above normal studio temps, and it's this that the early MiniMoogs were suffering under more than anything. You'd have the beast all tuned up and ready to go, then the stage lights would come on and the poor thing would wail out of tune.

Stephen