Trouble Calibrating With A Qunexus

Everything Werkstatt.
Trevor

Post by Trevor » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:22 pm

Hello All,

I have a brand new Werkstatt, a CV expansion, and a Qunexus and a Qunexus cable kit. I am currently trying to get it all calibrated.

I have the Qunexus connected to Gate out and VCO Exp FM In

I tuned the VCO pitch to play G3 when I hit the lowest key on the Qunexus keyboard. Hit the Octave button 3 times, adjusted the trim pot, and it plays really close to G6. Come back down, and it plays G3. The intermediate steps are not G4 and G5, though. Here is some data

Octave Open Circuit Voltage, V Frequency, Hz Note
1 0.019 196 G3
2 1.011 494.5 B4
3 2.005 622.5 Ef5
4 2.999 1566.5 G6

This is repeatable within a couple of Hz, even overnight. Should the frequency go 200, 400, 800, 1600 Hz?

The voltage is measured with the jack out of the CV expander, if I measured while it was in the expander, it seemed to effect the tuning of the Werkstatt--maybe G3 became E3. Voltage was measured on a brand new BK Precision DMM, should be pretty accurate.

Fequency was measured using an APP for my iPad called Cleartune. Tried it with the microphone and then using an iRig2--G6 annoyed the cat and the girlfriend.

Any obvious mistakes? Any suggestions? Anyone else try this?

I guess the first suspect would be the frequency measurement. Any suggestions for a better instrument?

Thanks!

Trevor

Vsyevolod

Re: Trouble Calibrating With A Qunexus

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:52 am

Try VCO Lin FM in.

Stephen

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Stephen,

Thanks for the response. I tried linear, but couldn't get much out of it, so I went back to Exp as the directions said.

What I did do is change my Tuner App-from Cleartune to TonalEnergy Chromatic Tuner from Sonosaurus LLC, which claims to be responsive to all instrument types from C0 to C8. It includes square, sawtooth, and sine wave forms as instruments it is responsive to. When I tested my first calibration mentioned above with this TonalEnergy, it read what Cleartune reported as a G6 as a G7. So I re-calibrated using the TonalEnergy App. Here are the results

Octave Open Circuit Voltage, V Frequency, Hz Note
1 0.019 195.8 G3
2 1.011 391 G4
3 2.005 782 G5
4 2.999 1565 G6
5 N/A 3138 G7

I could go another octave up, but by then it was a solid F#8. I have since retuned the VCO to C1. and I can get to C5 all within +/-1.5 cent.

While I have no idea if this new app is accurate, it is giving results that I would expect given the input voltages, and I am going with it. The developer has produced a very detailed Users Guide, and has an online forum, so it appears that they have taken alot of time making and supporting this app. Someday, if I find someone with a high accuracy tuner, I will test it out, but in the meantime, I am going to have some fun.

Trevor

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:30 am

Figured out how to measure frequency on a BK precision DMM,and it agrees within 1 Hz or so with the TonalEnergy Chromatic Tuner. I would recommend TonalEnergy to anyone for for this use.

MichaelDef

Post by MichaelDef » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:17 pm

That sounds pretty unusual... have you searched YouTube to see if anyone has had this problem on there? Maybe someone has a video on it.