Possible to run Werkstatt from batteries?

Everything Werkstatt.
jimredux

Possible to run Werkstatt from batteries?

Post by jimredux » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello

Is it possible to run a Werkstatt from batteries?

Very much a one off, got a gig coming up and we have 0 setup time no soundcheck etc and I want to minimise gear on stage especially power supplies

We're only using it on one song - sad I know but hey that's what happens when you let the guitarists write the songs ;)

So even just 10 minutes battery life would cover it!

Thanks
Jim

jimredux

Re: Possible to run Werkstatt from batteries?

Post by jimredux » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:23 am

Obviously I realise there's no internal battery! I'm thinking some kind of external thing?

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:15 pm

I haven't tried it, but I don't see why not-- from the specs, 12 V, with typical power consumption at the wall of 2 W, means less than 166 mA at the Werkstatt. Could be a pretty small battery for a 2 hour gig.

Trevor

grenert

Post by grenert » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:03 pm

Although the overall power consumption of the Werkstatt is pretty low (2W), there is a high initial current draw (hundreds of mA or maybe even an amp). This is likely due to startup of the many switching voltage regulators inside. That's why the power supply for the Werkstatt supplies up to 1.2A, which is a lot more than is needed after startup. It would be hard to create a battery supply of 12V which can supply over an amp of current.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:35 pm

I've purchased 2600 ma AA batteries for Radio Control cars. Tower Hobbies, among other suppliers, carry RC batteries that may work for you. You'll need a special charger, though.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.