CV Expander - Question about VCA in vs SQ-1 vs Kenton USB

Everything Werkstatt.
wescook

CV Expander - Question about VCA in vs SQ-1 vs Kenton USB

Post by wescook » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:12 am

Greetings all,

I've purchased the werkstatt to be an expander for my Micromoog. While the Micro is away at the shop being calibrated, the werkstatt arrived. I tried to hook it up to my Kenton USB solo (which works fine with the micro) and i could get CV going but only a drone. No note on/off. Checked the settings on the USB solo. I connected gate out to both the VCA in (no change) and the Gate out (which others on this forum seem to say is also gate in) also with no change. Eventually i would like to run usb solo to micromoog and then micromoog to werksattt.

So then my korg sq-1 arrives and i connect the CV (fine) but when I connect gate out to the VCA in i get clipping at every step. I tried all of the different settings on the SQ-1 even though i know its supposed to be 5V. still get clipping. What Is up? I'm certainly doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

Many thanks!

-Wes
Don't stack the magnets the wrong way

grenert

Re: CV Expander - Question about VCA in vs SQ-1 vs Kenton US

Post by grenert » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:49 am

Have you tried sending the SQ-1 gate out into the Werkstatt gate out?
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:11 pm

There are other posts on the gate in requirements (using the Werkstatt's gate out as an gate input). If the gate signal isn't strong enough, it won't trigger the envelope.

The VCA input is NOT for gate signals, only CV like an envelope output or CV pedal. You could use a CV to open the VCA while note CV controls the osc pitch. You don't need a gate for this. The osc is actually droning, but a CV to the VCA input controls the loudness of the drone, from silence (0V) to maximum loudness.

wescook

Post by wescook » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:05 am

Thank you both!

I have tried connecting the the Sq-1 gat out to the werkstatt gate out. That is a no go in EG mode and in VCA mode it is no different than if you only have the CV connected. That actually works fine i just want to better understand. I see folks on youtube connecting these two devices and many have the gate connected to the VCA in. But theirs aren't clipping. No matter if i get the desired result with a simple CV to VCO EXP.

Dr Floyd. Thank you for the advice about the VCA. I will seek out the other threads about the kenton. What do you think my prospects are connection-wise for controlling werkstatt with my micromoog? Will I only be able to run kbd cv to VCO EXP in and operate in VCA mode? I do have a s-trig female to 1/4 that i got an 1/4 to 1/8 mono adapter for. Should i try to connect to the gate out?

Many thanks!

Wes
Don't stack the magnets the wrong way

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:51 pm

The SQ-1 puts out a 10V gate, so that's why it is distorting the VCA. The VCA is expecting 5V maximum. So you are already doing a version of what I mentioned, by using the gate voltage to open the VCA for the duration of the gate, revealing the droning osc. I'm not sure why that 10V gate is not working with the Werkstatt Gate Out (In).

If you have the S-trig to gate cable, I don't see why the Micromoog would not be a good controller for the Werkstatt. I no longer have a Micro to test this, but I'll bet others here have done it. Could your Werkstatt Gate In be faulty?