Test point question

Everything Werkstatt.
dmk

Test point question

Post by dmk » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi,

I was planning on trying out the photoresistor mod tutorial but found myself thwarted on the first step: I discovered that my test points didn't have any holes. I wrote customer service concerning this (the manual states "plated through-hole test points are provided") but was told that this is normal and I'd have to clear it manually with a soldering iron and desoldering braid. Is this right?

I am a total novice at this but gave it a swing without success. I had the soldering iron at 600˚F and applied it to the test point for upwards of 20 seconds and with no change. I have both a sucker and a braid. I really don't want to bust my Moog. How high should I bring the temperature up to? And I suppose it shouldn't take that long for it to melt, right?

Thanks for your help,
k

kenzak

Re: Test point question

Post by kenzak » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:57 am

20 seconds is too long. Be careful...

I'm still learning and this video helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z38WsZFmq8E.

I'm not sure if the Werkstatt solder is lead free. If it is you probably need to go a bit higher on the temperature. Either way, I would suggest you practice removal on something disposable (I used some demo PCB's from where I work).

Good luck and have fun!

Ken

dmk

Re: Test point question

Post by dmk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:35 pm

Rad, the video was extremely helpful. Among many other tips, I realized I had no idea how to use the braid. As suggested on the 4:25 mark, I'll try dialing it up to 700˚F and see what happens. Maybe I'll swing by a thrift shop and pick up a junk electronic or two to practice on too—that's probably the best tip.

Thank you!