Kenton Pro Solo with Werkstatt

Everything Werkstatt.
RizalKhan

Kenton Pro Solo with Werkstatt

Post by RizalKhan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:57 pm

Hey guys

Before you guys read this, please understand that my knowledge on CV is zero.

What I am trying to achieve is to be able to sequence Midi notes via Cubase to the Werkstatt that has the expendion board installed and a Kenton Midi CV convertor.

Before I try anything, can I assume

Cubase Midi out to Midi in of Kenton.
Kenton CV to CV in of Werkstatt
Kenton Gate to Gate out of Werkstatt (I read the gate works as in and out? )

Is this how you do it?

Thanks

toryjames

Re: Kenton Pro Solo with Werkstatt

Post by toryjames » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:29 am

I have a Werkstatt and a Kenton Pro-Solo and have not had success with the Kenton's trigger being strong enough for the Werkstatt. The Korg SQ-1 sequencer does not trigger the gate on the Werkstatt either. The Arturia Beatstep Pro and Keystep do successfully open the Werkstatt's gate. Yes, you have it set up correctly but the gate out from the Kenton will likely not be strong enough.

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Yeah, the Werkstatt as it comes from the factory does not have a proper Gate input sadly, which is why I designed a modification that provides one (linky link). You do need basic DIY skills to make that mod, though. There's also Laurentide's take on the circuit, which is different to mine. I've not seen any other true gate input for the Werkstatt, ecxept some dude on eBay who was selling a PCB that looked suspiciously like my circuit...

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:40 am

I did your gate in mod today, nathan, thanks for sharing the information. It works great. I love playing the werkstatt with my mcmillan keyboard. Couldn't do it before.

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Glad to hear it! It's been a very popular mod, I'm kind of glad Moog didn't put a gate on there in the first place now :lol: