Werkstatt Mods

Everything Werkstatt.
janmelin

Re: Werkstatt Mods

Post by janmelin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:49 pm

That sounds great as I don't think my soldering skill is good enough for the "op-amp mod".
Thanks again for instant reply.

janmelin

Post by janmelin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Your solution works perfect. Thank you!
Strange that Moog don't equip Werkstatt with a gate in. I think that is essential.

muksys

Post by muksys » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 pm

The follower isn't necessary. Just a cationary addition really. I'm working on a PCB with SMD parts that'll solder right to the kludge area, so adding one is no biggy. Hopefully (before Knobcon) I'll get it done and have some needed mixing options (VCO > Filter, Audio IN, which will double as an Overdrive amount & a master out vol pot). Good question though. Always seemed a bit odd they didn't offer a Gate In on the patch header. Oh wells.

done...(for now)

oh, and the LFO LED is now orange.
Last edited by muksys on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:44 pm

muksys wrote:Always seemed a bit odd they didn't offer a Gate Out on the patch header.
A little bird told me (although it's usually not standard practice to send a control signal to a control signal output) that you can send a trigger to the GATE OUT and it will work as a GATE IN.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:17 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
muksys wrote:Always seemed a bit odd they didn't offer a Gate In on the patch header.
A little bird told me (although it's usually not standard practice to send a control signal to a control signal output) that you can send a trigger to the GATE OUT and it will work as a GATE IN.
yeah, looking at the schem, that'll work as there's no diode at the gate out and it'll pass the signal through to create the trigger too, but I wouldn't advise it. Could run into some issues if hitting the out with a signal in and pressing the keys at the same time.

grenert

Post by grenert » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey, muksys, nice knob "mod"! What part are those knobs? Do they just slip on, or did you need to glue/set screw in place?
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

muksys

Post by muksys » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:37 pm

grenert wrote:Hey, muksys, nice knob "mod"! What part are those knobs? Do they just slip on, or did you need to glue/set screw in place?
They're Rogan knobs made specifically for older Make Noise modules that have the same type of pots as the Werkstatt (knurled shafts). I got them from ctrl-mod.com but it looks like they are currently out of stock. They fit on perfectly. No screw or glue needed.

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:46 am

has anybody here tried to add a highpass output to their werkstatt filter?

usually, with this type of filter you get a highpass signal by mixing the lowpass output with an inverted version of the input signal. so all you would need to do would be add some kind of basic inverter+mixer circuit. might be worth a try.

i'd love to have one of these around to experiment with myself. but they are not available here in europe, and importing one from the u.s. would be too expensive, what with shipping cost and import tax. the current usd/eur exchange rate isn't helping, either. :(

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:57 pm

also, has anybody done anything with that unused ota in u2 (lm13700; jmp9, 18, 27, 36, 45) yet?

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:12 pm

This is probably better suited here, so I'm gonna double post...

Here's the variable waveshape mod schematic:

It's a bit tricky to get in. After removing the switch I was able to solder the pot in the holes (with the wiper bent up). Had to bend the pins back but it fits. The Saw trace between the 2 switch pins has to be cut and Square trace has to be cut between the switch and the TP (cant remember off hand which TB it is). Then I soldered a wire to the Square TP and the unused Saw pad from where the switch used to be. Finally the Mix wires to one of the old switch center pads. here is a vid of the mod in action

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:46 pm

...and here's the PCB with all of the additional mods.

Right now I've been hand soldering em but I may look into getting them made and sell kits if enough people are interested.

grenert

Post by grenert » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:57 am

Very nice! If I didn't already have my spaghetti mess of a Werkstatt I'd be first in line for a kit. I really like how you cleanly incorporated the MiniCV board. There are a lot of input and output pads. Do all of those connect up to pads on the Werkstatt?
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

muksys

Post by muksys » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:12 am

grenert wrote:Very nice! If I didn't already have my spaghetti mess of a Werkstatt I'd be first in line for a kit. I really like how you cleanly incorporated the MiniCV board. There are a lot of input and output pads. Do all of those connect up to pads on the Werkstatt?
Thanks! Mine doesn't have this nice PCB. It's basically a working canvas. Any mod idea gets tested on it first, so there's lots of perf boards and spaghetti.

The bottom half of the PCB are 8 buffered outputs. VCO Saw & Square, LFO Tri & Square, KB, EG, Gate & Trig. They all get wired to 4 TRS jacks. The KB Out goes through a trimmer first to scale it to 1v/oct. The top half has a Glide circuit, a mixer (to control the VCO and External Audio IN) and the Gate Buffer.