Using Werkstatt with external devices

Everything Werkstatt.
ark

Using Werkstatt with external devices

Post by ark » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:58 pm

What's the most effective way to connect, say, a CV/Gate keyboard (such as an Akai MAX25) to the Werkstatt? It seems to me that I would need to tie the grounds of the two devices together (although I don't see a ground terminal on the Werkstatt apart from the sleeve of the audio output) and then obtain a cable that connects the tip and ring of a TS plug to two of the little wire-like thingies that plug into the Werkstatt's multi-pin connector.

Am I on the right track?

Wesley

Re: Using Werkstatt with external devices

Post by Wesley » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Yes.

There is a video at Sweetwater that shows how to connect external gear. I plan on connecting an Arturia Beatstep to my Werkstatt-01 using his recommendation for grounding. I just got my Werkstatt today (still un-assembled), but I have to finish waxing my car before I can have fun. I'm just on beer break now.

FormerlyFred

Post by FormerlyFred » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:51 pm

If sort of successfully connected my Werkstatt to my Voyager OS. I attached a wire with an alligator clip to one of the chassis mount screws, to ground to the chords coming out of the CV connections on the Voyager. The counter intuitive part is going from the gate out on the Voyager to the gate out on the Werkstatt. But my remaining issue is when I go from a C to the C one octave up on the Voyager, it plays a C to a C# one octave up on the Werkstatt. I also ran into the same issue connecting to my Arturia MicroBrute. Any ideas?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Another forum member pointed me to the expanded manual that includes that VCO calibration procedure.

deltaphoenix

Post by deltaphoenix » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Some Voyagers are not calibrated at 1volt per octave, they are 1.1 volts I think.

FormerlyFred

Post by FormerlyFred » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 pm

That link (http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default/ ... Manual.pdf), did the trick. Page 22 shows the trim pot just below the Moog logo on the circuit board, that adjust the tuning of the external controller. But now for some reason, the CV gate out on my other keyboards do not seem to work with the werkstatt (no pun intended). The CV out on the voyager was working just yesterday. Go figure.

FormerlyFred

Post by FormerlyFred » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:47 pm

I have now successfully connected my WerkStatt of the QuNexus keyboard. On the QuNexus, the CV and Gate come out of the same 1/8" stereo jack. So you have to splice the cable out into two seperate bread board jumpers for CV and Gate and a ground, which is no big deal. The only issue I have now is the glide control on the WerkStatt only works with the button keyboard on the WerkStatt, and not the the QuNexus. Does anyone now of a hack to make the glide work with an external device?

deltaphoenix

Post by deltaphoenix » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:21 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:Some Voyagers are not calibrated at 1volt per octave, they are 1.1 volts I think.

see this thread and there are several more like this.
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... le#p102213

janmelin

Post by janmelin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:01 pm

Littlebits will release a new module for the Synth Kit that outputs CV with v/oct and hz/v. This could be great.

RizalKhan

Post by RizalKhan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:55 am

When I got the Werkstatt, I didn't think about using it with external devices. I wanted to use it as an effect sound unit. Then I saw how someone used the CV of a TB-303 to sequence the Werkstatt via youtube. Now I want to do something similiar...

What I think will be cool is if Moog or someone else sells kits for the cables to be played by external devices such as TB-303, Kenton Pro solo.... I'd pay for that not because I am lazy or anything...but because I don't have the knowledge and I am so afraid that I might do something wrong and short circuit something.