Problems with midi

Analog Delay • Ladder Filter
binarybonary

Problems with midi

Post by binarybonary » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:10 am

I've been having problems with a stereo pair of the 500 series delays. Occasionally I see the yellow light that signifies a midi message, but for the last few days I've been able to get any midi communications working whatsoever. I've tried swapping, midi interface, midi cable and linking and de-linking the 2 units.

What is particularly odd is that I tried a firmware update using SysEx librarian - this worked perfectly which suggests all the connections are working as they should be.

Any help much appreciated!

Control_Voltage

Re: Problems with midi

Post by Control_Voltage » Fri May 02, 2014 11:37 am

Hi there!

Andy from the Moog Tech Lab here!!!

There are a few thing I might try as well.

1) Do a factory reset to all of the global default values(you would think that a firmware update would do this but there may be a chance your unit is getting weird MIDI CC's that are changing undesirable functions). Here is a link to a Sysex file for doing a factory reset: http://seamslikereality.com/moog/_S500_ ... _Reset.syx

2) Delink the quirky unit and send the following CC messages to ensure that it is set to respond to MIDI in the correct way:

CC 76 (value 64+) will set the unit to Time Sync to incoming MIDI clock
CC 82 (value 0) turns of MIDI NOTE MODE
CC 119( value 0) Sets the MIDI channel to 1.

Retest the unit and see if this helps. Also, note onpage 12 of your manual about the MIDI Port warning.

If you are still having problems contact me directly [email protected]

Thanks!
Andy

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Tue May 06, 2014 9:50 am

Hi again!!

Couple of other things::

1) When doing firmware updates remove the stereo linking cable and update each unit one at a time.
2)Also, perhaps youaccidentally set the MIDI channel to a different value. Now it will only receive messages on that channel except for SYSEX messages which would explain why the firmware update worked for him. MIDI CC #119 is MIDI channel select. You can try setting it back to channel 1 by sending a MIDI CC #119=1 on all channels one at a time until it works.

Thanks!

Andy Hughes
Moog Tech Support

binarybonary

Post by binarybonary » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Andy,

Thanks so much and sorry for the slow reply, I didn't get the email notification!

I've done what you said and finally i've been seeing the yellow midi and things have been working as expected.

Unfortunately i've encountered another problem. Whenever I fire up the AAX plugin in pro tools 11 and start tweaking parameters, the unit locks up after a few tweaks. It ceases to receive any midi and i have to perform a factory reset to get it working again. I'm running too in a stereo pair.

Any idea what this could be, really frustrating as they sound so good!

Thanks
D

binarybonary

Post by binarybonary » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Sorry, one other thing - this behaviour does not seem to occur in the standalone editor. Seems to be the aax plugin only.

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 am

HI again,

That may be a bug in the AAX, but I will check in with the engineers for you to be sure.

You can email me directly for more immediate correspondence at [email protected]

Thanks!!

Andy Hughes
Tech Support Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

meseek

Post by meseek » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:34 am

thank you so much for information. :D

chalhat

Post by chalhat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:13 am

meseek wrote:thank you so much for information. :D
Facing the same problem dude. Yours checked?

anasingh668

Post by anasingh668 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:59 am

An important, and often overlooked case is when mixing (adding) a signal that appears on more than one track. Perhaps the simplest example is a stereo recording, when some portion of the sound arrives at both the L and R channel. The common practice in stereo is to use a stereo converter with equal delay on both channels. Yet, any additional processing done to one channel but not the other may make the delays unequal.