MF delay v2 7 seconds?

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
unfiltered37

MF delay v2 7 seconds?

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:44 pm

I am not that familiar with how analog delays work as far as clocking, but when my tape delay just gave out, I had to find a quick cheap replacement until i can get it fixed. I bought an EHX memory boy. And it pretty much sucks. It's okay at higher delays, but starts to sound glitchy and digital at lower delay times, which I am guessing is because of less BBD chips? I think I have to give up on tape delays, so I was thinking of getting the MF v2 delay, but it says it has 7 seconds of delay. But how does it sound at the lower delays? I don't really need that much delay time, but I would like to have at least half a second without sounding nasty.

stiiiiiiive

Re: MF delay v2 7 seconds?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:57 am

Hi! :)

I think there is no 7 second BBD delay out there. You have misread 700 ms.
At lower rates, BBD delays will mostly sound "glitchier" than tape delays.

Anyone correct me.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:42 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Hi! :)

I think there is no 7 second BBD delay out there. You have misread 700 ms.
At lower rates, BBD delays will mostly sound "glitchier" than tape delays.

Anyone correct me.
Well I think the guy on the ad I was looking at misread it and i just repeated it. I did mix up higher and lower delay times in my OP.

That actually makes me feel better though, can't imagine how bad 7 seconds would sound.

My 104z doesn't sound glitchy at the highest delay time. I just watched a demo that took it all the way to 700ms, and it sounds great, so I think i will pull the trigger. Wonder why they stopped making them.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:28 pm

I happen to have been using a 104Z for years and tried a MiniFooger Delay at some point.
The MiniFooger went away because the continuous time setting bored me: I much prefer being able to set a range and access two sonic characters.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:22 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:I happen to have been using a 104Z for years and tried a MiniFooger Delay at some point.
The MiniFooger went away because the continuous time setting bored me: I much prefer being able to set a range and access two sonic characters.
Yeah i didnt use the slow setting for years, the fast was plenty dark for me, and i love to set the mix past 12 o clock. But i recently experimented with different very tiny amounts of lfo in the slow setting and got some incredible textures on my clavinet. The 101 and 104 in that order on the clav with a slight amount of lfo on delay time is freakin amazing on clavinet. Entirely different sound than the standard wah clav. So much more expressive. Love being able to sustain long notes and take the attack out and swell in. I am married to Clavinet and minimoog for life.also have the mp201 so can control both filters at the same time. 2 pole on the clav with some subtle chorus with the 104 but different than any other chorus i have heard

On mini though, the slow setting doesnt do much for me so the minifooger will work.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:08 pm

If you happen to record some of your Clavinet experiments, I would be glad to hear them :)

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:16 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:If you happen to record some of your Clavinet experiments, I would be glad to hear them :)
Just a little experimenting/messing around with the clav:

https://wiremessiah.bandcamp.com/track/clav-test

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:24 am

Ooh spooky and quite cool, bravo! Inspiring!
Thanks for sharing :)

grenert

Post by grenert » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:09 am

Wow, I've never heard a clav sound like that! Very cool.
It sounds like it might fit a movie scene where the protagonist was drugged, kidnapped and just woke up in the desert somewhere. :D
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:41 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Ooh spooky and quite cool, bravo! Inspiring!
Thanks for sharing :)
grenert wrote:Wow, I've never heard a clav sound like that! Very cool.
It sounds like it might fit a movie scene where the protagonist was drugged, kidnapped and just woke up in the desert somewhere. :D

Thanks. This clip came from me getting extremely stoned and recording myself on video just to see how silly I looked while playing. And that's why I didn't include the video, I look ridiculous. But at the same time, most of the musicians i admire also have strange and often awkward movements and cheesy facial expressions and such (like Edgar Meyer or Zakir Hussain), so I realized it really does get me into it and enhances the performance even though it embarrasses me. I won't go into advocating for marijuana to enhance creativity, but suffice it to say, this clip doesn't exist without it. It's nothing but pure raw feeling/energy

Not to try to make this any more than what it is, which is just playful noodling, but It does still please me that I have some ability to pull random waves out of the ether like this on the spot and have someone enjoy it, it's encouraging. I am often reluctant to share my stuff, but i read a very good quote from the "queen of modern dance" that made me a little bolder:

"“There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is on a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.”

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:36 am

Thanks for sharing that too :)

Freeski

Post by Freeski » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:26 am

Quote"Wonder why they stopped making them."

Moog recently made a small production run, but they were only available for sale at the factory itself.

It was mentioned that they found some more delay chips for that recent production run, so I imagine that is the limiting factor to production.
Voyager RME
Mother 32
Slim Phatty