MF Delay vs MF Chorus

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
MaxFerency

MF Delay vs MF Chorus

Post by MaxFerency » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:36 pm

I am looking for a MF to give me a little more presence to my Sub 37 and Minitaur. I'm looking specifically for something almost like a reverb but not quite. Should I go with an MF Delay on a short time that I've read will give me something closer to a plate-verb or will the Chorus pedal give me more flexibility there? Both circuits are somewhat similar just with different parameters, correct? I know I can play with the release in the envelope on both the Sub 37 and Minitaur but I'm looking for that wash of multiple notes sound. Would Chorus or Delay be more versatile there?
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

stiiiiiiive

Re: MF Delay vs MF Chorus

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:38 pm

I'd go delay. I sometimes used a MF-104 Z with shortissimo times and fortissimo feedback levels and I got a delicious, lo-fi, roomy reverb-like result.

wajobu

Post by wajobu » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:30 am

A digital (simulated) reverb is essentially multiple delays lines overlapping simultaneously. I have had great success stacking delays with progressively longer delay times, simulating something like an old Binson Echorec drum delay that had 4 different delay heads. Delays can be timed to be 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16th notes, even triplets, etc. I think combining 2 or 3 MF Delays along with an MF Chorus is a great way to go. I've tried MANY chorus pedals over the years, and the MF Chorus is one of the nicest analog choruses I've ever used.

I wish that Moog would add some modulation to their Minifooger Analog Delay, but combining the MF Delay and Chorus is a close second.
On a reach and planing...

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:37 am

wajobu wrote: I wish that Moog would add some modulation to their Minifooger Analog Delay, but combining the MF Delay and Chorus is a close second.
Interesting. So your answer is basically both. If I start with getting just one for now, which would you recommend? I've already had one vote for the Delay (thanks stiiiiiiive for your input!) but I am still leaning Chorus just cuz it seems like it has a little more color versitility. What do you think?
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:38 am

If your request is about that:
MaxFerency wrote:I'm looking specifically for something almost like a reverb but not quite. Should I go with an MF Delay on a short time that I've read will give me something closer to a plate-verb or will the Chorus pedal give me more flexibility there? [...] Would Chorus or Delay be more versatile there?
…I’d insist on advising delay.

Now, I don’t have any church to preach and if your heart says “Go chorus!”, maybe you should listen to your heart :D

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:26 am

Yeah, part of my problem too is that there aren't any stores near me where I can play w these myself.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 am

Try to find an online store with a 30 days return policy.
Better than any forum member's advice.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Why not just do both? I noticed the other day the entire line dropped about $30 /pedal at sweetwater
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

wajobu

Post by wajobu » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:16 am

Yes, prices have dropped...I'd recommend both, but I think if you're looking for texture and can only buy one, I'd say the chorus, which has wide ranging controls, can also do vibrato and a separate delay control.

Get both, you won't regret it. :-)
On a reach and planing...

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:47 am

So I went with the Delay. I got it this past Monday. At first - because I've never really used a delay pedal - I didn't know if I liked it because I didn't really know how to use it. Then I used it on Thursday in a sound collage that was part of the soundscape for an art show. The collage was of natural storm sounds and processed sounds to make them sound like storm sounds. I put the delay pedal on the back speaker to add a little bit of echo and it really added a sense of scale to the room. The dog barking and thunder sounded particularly amazing in the space. That's when I begin to see its value. I like how you can choose between Time and Feedback for the pedal, which also adds a lot of expressiveness for when I'm using it when the Sub 37 & Minitaur. Connecting it to my CP-251 also creates some crazy awesome sounds.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:07 am

Cool, have fun :)

...and get the chorus some day ;)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:56 pm

wajobu wrote:I wish that Moog would add some modulation to their Minifooger Analog Delay, but combining the MF Delay and Chorus is a close second.
Hi wajobu,

You probably already know this but, for the newer readers, it's important to note that the minifooger Delay does have a modulation/expression input jack that can be set to modulate the Time parameter (or the Feedback amount).

So, if you used an LFO that swept from +0vDC to some voltage under +5vDC, you could create a Chorus effect along with the Delay.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _