Any point in MF trem/ring if you own a MF102??

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
Headphones

Any point in MF trem/ring if you own a MF102??

Post by Headphones » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Suppose I am deciding on either a MIniFooger Ring or Trem, or, why bother and just get a MF102 instead?

I'd consider going broke and getting them all if you can think of a reason to purchase the 3 of them. If there is really no need if the MF102 already covers that ground in one pedal, then I could just find a used 102 on eBay,instead of buying both the Trem/Ring. Your thoughts on this one if you happen to know.

jaybird

Re: Any point in MF trem/ring if you own a MF102??

Post by jaybird » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:33 am

I have the MF-102 and have thought about the MF ring & trem. I sometimes wish I had two 102's because of the fact that it is such an amazing tremolo. By combining the LO range frequencies and the LFO you can get some unreal rhythmic patterns - territory that no normal tremolo really touches upon. It also does subtle and "normal" trem and everything in between beautifully.

So I'd love to have one setup in the LO ranges for trem - and another switched to HI for the ring mod tones. (It would also be great if the 102 got the MIDI treatment, so that presets were an option)

The MF ring & trem do not cover the same frequency range as the 102. There is a gap between 12 - 90 Hz.

MF ring: 90 Hz - 1500 Hz (up to 12000 Hz with expression)
MF trem: 0.6 Hz - 12 Hz (expression does not seem like it extends the range - but couldn't find a spec)
MF-102: 0.6 Hz - 4000 Hz (extended with expression and knob position - but couldn't find a spec)

So I would suggest the 102 for all the extra features, sounds and flexibility it brings to the table. I guess the MF pair would be more ideal if you want the effects in series and are looking for more traditional tones/uses. Or just grab em all for the ultimate trem/ring setup. I know I would like to own them all someday. Hope this helps - best of luck!

Headphones

Post by Headphones » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Yeah, probably I just might have to go with a MF102 to just have all the options for CV connectivity. I've always wanted a ring mod anyway, but I love Tremolo as well. But owning all 3 would be pretty sweet. I mean feed a synth through the mini ring, get that really weird Dalek ring sound coming out of it, then send the out of that into the mini Trem, and have that go out to the MF102 to another ring mod setting, and I'm sure it would just sound strange! But it's interesting to think about. :wink:

Not sure when I have the extra pennies to play with, but I think if I should find some cash I can stash, I'll put a MF102 on layaway. After that, look into some mini foogers. 8)

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Two MF-102's is the cat's meow. Definitely the way to go. Buy one now and a second one when you can afford it.

Stephen

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Two MF-102's is the cat's meow. Definitely the way to go. Buy one now and a second one when you can afford it.

Stephen

Shameless plug for anyone new to the forums: "Lord of the RingMod - 2009.pdf"

An update of the classic guide to the MF-102 Ring Modulator. Recommended reading for all MF102 Ring Mod owners!

Look in KnobTweak > Files > Moogerfoogers > MF102 Ring Modulator

- Greg

BigM

Post by BigM » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

I say "yes" if one desires more portability. I have both the MF102 and the Minifooger Ring. The 102 has been mounted within a rack array, about 7 feet off the ground, for over 10 years and its not budging. The 9volt version can be taken anywhere with little hassle, not to mention that it works well with other Minifoogers.

umbrella

Post by umbrella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:05 am

Old thread but I will add my 2cents for the record.

If you are after tremolo effect than MF Trem is better suited that MF102. If you want to build a rig with several interconnected Moogerfoogers than MF102 is more interesting.

What I like on MF Trem is that you get a tone control for the wet part of the signal (6db LP filter) and you also get continuously variable wave shape of the carrier signal (saw-triangle-reverse saw).
Minitaur / MF Delay / MF Trem / CP-251 / Mac Mini / OS X 10.11.6