MF Flange 07 -- Thoughts

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
Danyosound

MF Flange 07 -- Thoughts

Post by Danyosound » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Last year I bought the MoogerFooger ClusterFlux MF108M and made a few videos on youtube comparing it to my favorite flanger, the A/DA Flanger. I concluded that despite all the cool controls and features of the ClusterFlux, the A/DA was still superior in many ways
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wECxE4w1Tc

Today my new MF Flange Minifooger 07 came in the mail. I was excited for its smaller package, its stereo option, its normal 9V plug, and its "exponential" triangle wave. I compared my old A/DA Flanger with my ClusterFlux and the new MF Flange.

Specs at a glance:

A/DA Flanger --:-- Min Delay 0.4 mS -- Max Delay 14 mS | Min Rate 25 Seconds (.04 Hz) -- Max Rate .1 Seconds (10 Hz)

ClusterFlux --:-- Min Delay 0.6 mS -- Max Delay 10 mS | Min Rate 20 Seconds (.05 Hz) -- Max Rate .02 Seconds (50 Hz)

MF Flange --:-- Min Delay 0.54 mS -- Max Delay 16 mS | Min Rate 40 Seconds (.025 Hz -- Max Rate .09 Seconds (11Hz)

---[Note: My A/DA Flanger has a minimum rate of 35 Seconds for some reason]

With specs like these, I gathered that the MF Flange would be much closer to beloved A/DA Flanger, so I bought one!

Wave Form:
The A/DA has a wave form that shoots exponentially higher toward its peak, giving it a dramatic effect as it crests the top side.
The ClusterFlux uses sine wave and triangle wave. Both waves crest smoothly at the their peak, but neither does it dramatically.
The MF Flange boasts an "exponential" triangle, which I thought would be nearer to the A/DA flange. Instead, it lingers at the crest of the wave.

Feedback and Rate
I have little issue with the Feedback and Rates on these three flangers, though I prefer the option to have a long sweep.
Some flangers, like the EH Flanger Hoax, have Rates high enough for pitches (over 20 Hz). I find that feature unnecessary.
Some Flangers, like the LoveTone Flange With No Name (?) and the ClusterFlux have Feedback controls that spin into gobs of self-oscillation. The Enhance control on the A/DA Flanger, which controls the Feedback, is acceptable. The Feedback control on the MF Flange is a little weak, but acceptable.

Delay and Depth
My number one complaint about the Moog flangers -- both the ClusterFlux and the MF Flange -- is with the Amount/Depth control. The Depth control on the A/DA Flanger is called Range.
On the A/DA Flanger and the Boss BF-2, when the Depth is all the way up, the Delay/Time/Manual control is rendered useless because the Flanger sweeps the entire range from the minimum time to the maximum time. In my opinion, this feature makes for the most dramatic flange sound.

Conclusion
The MF Flange is ok, but it doesn't seem to be any better than the old Boss BF-2 with the exception of the "Type" switch (which accounts for the Even/Odd switch on the A/DA Flanger, and a very useable feature). The size is right and the features are ok.
The ClusterFlux is more extreme, but ultimately doesn't give the "Jet Flange" sound many of us crave.
The A/DA is still the best.

MODS (?) (!!!)
If I could modify the MF Flange, I would give it these features:
1) A wave shape that did not linger at the crest of its wave
2) A Delay Time that was at least a Perfect 5th higher than it currently sits (The A/DA's delay time is a Minor 6th above the MF Flange.)
3) A Depth control that swept the entirety of the Delay Time range.
4) A Feedback control that's just a little crazier (but not as crazy as the ClusterFlux)
Attachments
Photo on 6-26-15 at 5.15 PM.jpg

Croyote

Re: MF Flange 07 -- Thoughts

Post by Croyote » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:24 pm

I haven't had a chance to try the MF Flange yet, but I couldn't disagree with you more about the differences between the A/DA and the ClusterFlux.
Wave Form:
The A/DA has a wave form that shoots exponentially higher toward its peak, giving it a dramatic effect as it crests the top side.
The ClusterFlux uses sine wave and triangle wave. Both waves crest smoothly at the their peak, but neither does it dramatically./quote]

UM . .. wrong. The ClusterFlux has 7 LFO waveforms, 6 on the face and 1 under the hood. The A/DA only has one. Those extra waveforms can transform the ClusterFlux into the ultimate modulation/phasing machine.
Delay and Depth
My number one complaint about the Moog flangers -- both the ClusterFlux and the MF Flange -- is with the Amount/Depth control. The Depth control on the A/DA Flanger is called Range.
On the A/DA Flanger and the Boss BF-2, when the Depth is all the way up, the Delay/Time/Manual control is rendered useless because the Flanger sweeps the entire range from the minimum time to the maximum time. In my opinion, this feature makes for the most dramatic flange sound.
The ClusterFlux can do this by using an Expression Pedal like the Moog EP-3 or CV controller like the CP-251. The effects are way more dramatic than the A/DA can even touch. You can extend the range of any parameter using CV with Moog. Not so at all with the A/DA.

And I'm not even getting into MIDI, because well I don't really use it. However the Effects Loop alone makes the Cluster FLux similar to the Lovetone Flange w/ No Name.. Before I sold mine I placed a Subdecay Prometheus DLX on an extremly slow filter sweep in the loop and used the stereo output between 2 amps and accomplished one of the most spatially dynamic tones I've ever encountered. I've used all manner of effects to transform the ClusterFlux into anything from a Fuzz pedal to a phasing sequenced filter.

The only Flanger which I think comes close to the CLuster FLux in flexibility is the Subdecay Starlight DLX. Kicking myself for selling mine, because a week later it was discontinued and they are unobtainium atm. I'm actually eager to try the MF Flange at some point, as I was impressed by the Chorus.

stiiiiiiive

Re: MF Flange 07 -- Thoughts

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:13 am

Croyote, I think Danyosound is talking about basic flangers features. Obviously MoogerFoogers are often over the roof in terms of capabilities, but when it comes to sound, it comes down to a matter of comparing what can be compared.
The Subdecay pedals are quite cool though. I have the Quasar DLX -same digital control than your Prometheus IIRC, but it’s an analogue phaser – and I must say I did not sell it when I had the chance to compare it to the MF103 (Size mattered…).

Danyosound, thanks for this review :)