MF Drive dead already

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
facon

MF Drive dead already

Post by facon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Well, my MF Drive died today. It's had very limited use and obviously isn't very old. It just doesn't power on regardless of battery and PSU use. I have two questions:

1) Has anybody else had a minifooger die on the like this? It really concerns me that I would have issues with a pedal this quickly. Especially since it's SMD and has to be shipped in to be repaired.

2) Does Moog really charge you for shipping to repair a defective pedal? I went to setup an RMA, but they're asking for CC info.

Vsyevolod

Re: MF Drive dead already

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Doo doo occurs.

Stephen

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:39 am

Facon:

Andy Hughes here...I am the Service Manager for the Moog Tech Support Department. I will be happy to help you with your issue with your MF-DRIVE, anytime one of our new products fails in the field, we take it very seriously.

What I will do is cover the shipping and simply replace your Minifooger with a new one, so that we can analyze the failure that has occurred in yours. It is probably just a bad component, and this happens in a small percentage of all electronics, but better safe than sorry.

Please contact me directly at (828) 251-0090 ext 221. or by email [email protected].

I will assist you with the set up of your RMA, and we will get you a replacement pedal asap.

Thanks!
Andy Hughes

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:59 am

Moog has some of the best customer support in the world!

I have experienced Moog going above and beyond in their support many times like this.

Stephen

facon

Post by facon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:26 pm

You're right. They've been very responsive. Both Andy and Troy contacted me to help get this situated. Still a happy Moog user!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:17 pm

That's why I keep reminding anyone who has a problem with a Moog Music product to contact their customer support first. Even just outside the warranty period sometimes.
They are a bunch of passionate and dedicated people about what they do, and they have the complete customer satisfaction in mind every step of the way.
A big thumbs-up to them !

Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

facon

Post by facon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Moog was contacted right away. I was just interested to see if others have had this issue since I'm planning to take it on tour. It looks like this was a fluke.

tradrad

Post by tradrad » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:46 am

hey facon...
did you have any indications of an issue prior to sudden death?
i, too, am planning on extended tour usage (using it daily as we speak) with an MF drive, and already (only had it for a week and change) having some oddball switch glitchiness. i have a moogerfooger ring mod that i love, and this drive SOUNDS spectacular, but i'm concerned about construction and durability.
i may send an email directly to andy as i sent a message to moog tech 5 days ago and heard nothing back as yet!
thanks for your insight...
be blessed/d#

facon

Post by facon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:44 am

Yes. At first it was just pausing for a slight second whenever the effect was engaged. Then the pause started getting longer and longer. As the delay got longer, I noticed it would start to swell on. Even the LED would swell up and take a second to turn full on. Eventually it stopped powering on at all.

The pedal always had a slight pause when turning it on or off, but when it started acting weird it was only a matter of 30 minutes until it was done.

As far as contacting Andy, I've sent quite a few different emails to Moog over the years (through the website). A couple of them have just gone with no response (mostly sales and general questions), some of them can take up to a week or so. When I posted on the forum the response was immediate. I think Andy's the most responsive guy to work with.

Regardless, I still love Moog products and hope to hear that your MF Drive is fine!

tradrad

Post by tradrad » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:36 pm

facon wrote: Regardless, I still love Moog products and hope to hear that your MF Drive is fine!
amen dude...that's why i went for the MF drive! i've had a ring mod and delay for a while now...love 'em to death and the DRIVE section is killin! they just take up too much real estate for a human sized pedal board :D

thanks for the help...sent andy an email and hoping he'll get back sometime soon.
#

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:17 am

Hey Guys!!!

I am still monitoring this thread, and please do contact me directly for support! By phone 1-828-251-0090 xt.221 or by email [email protected]

If you send me an email, and don't get an immediate response, never fear I will contact you within a day or two. I get a lot of questions :)
If you need immediate assistance, call me.

I am closely monitoring this new product line for reports of issues, just so we can stay ahead and keep in tune with any problems, but considering how many we have made so far vs. the number of issues I have seen, the product is living up to the Moog standard!

Nevertheless, all information is useful to us for improving the product line, so don't hesitate when you have a complaint(or a compliment!), call me or email me.
I am here to help.

Thanks!
Andy Hughes
Tech Support Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

FourLegsGood

Post by FourLegsGood » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 pm

facon wrote:Yes. At first it was just pausing for a slight second whenever the effect was engaged. Then the pause started getting longer and longer. As the delay got longer, I noticed it would start to swell on. Even the LED would swell up and take a second to turn full on. Eventually it stopped powering on at all.
This is beginning to happen with mine. There are times when it seems to cut out entirely if the OD isn't engaged. Hasn't died completely yet, though.

The tone on these things, however, is absolutely amazing and (assuming I can get mine repaired) I don't think I'll ever go back to another OD.

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:09 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:
facon wrote:Yes. At first it was just pausing for a slight second whenever the effect was engaged. Then the pause started getting longer and longer. As the delay got longer, I noticed it would start to swell on. Even the LED would swell up and take a second to turn full on. Eventually it stopped powering on at all.
This is beginning to happen with mine. There are times when it seems to cut out entirely if the OD isn't engaged. Hasn't died completely yet, though.

The tone on these things, however, is absolutely amazing and (assuming I can get mine repaired) I don't think I'll ever go back to another OD.
FourLegsGood, have you contacted our service department yet regarding the issue? We will always do our best to make sure you stay up and running. That's the fastest way to make sure it happens.

Thank you for your support
-Your Friends at Moog

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:21 am

And an unsolicited response: the service team at Moog is among the best in the entire industry. Top notch folks offering top notch service. Call them, don't write.

Stephen

soulmanure

Post by soulmanure » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm having this problem now as well. I contacted customer service, but haven't gotten a response--they're probably working pretty hard, especially with the mothers landing. In any case, it happened to me a while back with my drive--just wouldn't start up, and this is with the proper Moog power supply. Then, voila, it worked for about a year or so. Now, it's happening again. Sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't. The light will engage on power up, then nothing. It's pretty odd, and it's the only pedal on my board that this is happening with. So I'm wondering if anyone's figured out what the story is on this issue. My drive is out of warranty now, alas, but perhaps there's a work around!